4/17/2023

A small collection of CDs sorted out

I wanted to put the CDs in order and, if possible, to record them as files in the hard disc. Then I could have quickly found the CD or sound source I would like to listen to. I would do that when retired. As a digital luddite, however, I felt inclined not to start that project but left them cluttered and scattered around at various places. It has been a task for me to find out a sound source necessary.

Some of them have been put in a few boxes. Giving up the above mentioned digitalization project, I decided to sort them out in more boxes with title. The total amount is not so many. Only 400 CDs or so. I have still found the CDs I have not listened for years. They were sorted out according to the composers into 10 boxes.  


It is a primitive system. But it won't be too long before I should give up listening to them. This is sufficient for me.

Arranging things in this way, I found my collection, not large enough at all, is confined to only limited genres of music. I should get more of such as Haydn, baroques or earlier music. I also would like to have more chamber music variety. Keyboard music is the genre I need to be more familiar with. I would not only enrich the collection but also enjoy the old favorites even more. 

This is for the bed room. I have the other sets of audio at my own room and at the living dining. I may bring a few CDs into those rooms when I would listen to them there.


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shin
    Great minds think alike. I went through the same procedure this year, with a similar number of CD's, now all lined up on the shelves in alphabetical order by composer's name.
    But like you, I rarely listen to them these days. They are all available online at Spotify to which I now subscribe, so there is no point spinning the CD. One day when we move house I may have to give them away. I doubt anyone would buy the complete keyboard box-sets of F. Couperin by played by three different harpsichordists, especially in Singapore, and freight costs to overseas buyers is not worth the price.
    It's a different story with my vinyl. I still get a warm nostalgic feeling when I place one on my turntable and give it a spin, even though these too are all available on Spotify.
    Eventually space constraints may force me to give these away as well, and the future lies in a pair of headphones, a mobile phone, and online streaming.
    This is happening to my book collection too; I no longer have the space for books and everything I buy is for Kindle these days. The modern life, without nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I have tried to connect my audio set at the bed room through wifi. But no luck! As soon as I knew that, I gave it up. You are a modern guy in fact. I am still thinking to buy sets of music, especially of keyboard music! I should add Couprin in it. I have never tried kindle yet. I always would like to underline some portions in books and also to summarize the content or write down key words etc. So call me a luddite nut!

    As you may know, our country is going on downhill. Economically, socioethically and politically. I won't struggle or make a fuss about it. I just hope I still have sometime to enjoy all the music etc.

    Stay well.

    Shin

    ReplyDelete