4/15/2023

Apple flowers Artificial pollination

We have a copule of apple trees in the lawn area. Their flowers are fully blooming right now. Some of them are already starting falling down. I remembered they had been different species of apple but was not sure if they were compatible with effective pollination between them. 

When I told a friend of mine that there had been very few apples borne in the past, I was told to do artificial pollination. I thought it had been done by bees. I should have kept bees for that purpose. Without bee keeping, I should do manual pollination.

A couple days ago, I have poliinated with a fluffy material of a earpick. I don't know if it will work or not. The 1st trial. After pollination, a wire has been tied to the base of each flower. About 10 of them were done with the procedure. Looking forward to having fresh apples in fall.



 A bit later from now in a year, I often heard Cap W0CCA proudly talking of the beautiful apple flowers blooming in his big orchard. Watching our 2 trees flowering in the way the photo shows, I always remember of his story of the apple orchard far away in Colorado. 

No comments:

Post a Comment