4/30/2023

John, 9V1VV, and Brahms' 2nd symphony

It was in May 15 years ago when I met John Davies, 9V1VV, in person. A year or two prior to his visit here, we have run across on 40m CW. He was running an electronic keyer as a bug and seemed to be oriented to ragchewing on CW. That is why we have had so many QSOs ever since.

He was born in the Republic of South Africa and has moved to England in his boyhood days. After his father, he has started doing with radio and later has become a R/O. He seemed to have spent his young days from his twenties to thirties on aboard as a R/O. He used to tell me he had had a lot of communications with radio operators at commercial stations all over the world. He could tell who was on the key from the characteristics of keying. In late thirties in his life, he started his career as an engineer ashore in Singapore. Later, he has found himself reading the ad signs with Morse code without being conscious of that. He wanted to come back the world of Morse code communication and decided to be a ham. I wonder if this short description of his bio is not comprehensive but good enough.

I met him at a local station. A tall and smiling gentleman was there. I took him to my home and let him see my station with nothing particular set up. I have told about FOC, a British CW Club, which I had been active in and he has become a member in a few years. 

In May 15 years ago, as we promised, I met him at a local train station. At the small concourse, a tall gentleman has stood smiling at me. I took him to my home and let him show my humble shack. It was the day of the local orchestra rehearsal. I was supposed to attend it by any means since it was very close to the concert then. I impudently asked him if he would go there with me. His reply was affirmative. Maybe, by that time, I knew he had been a classical music lover. His concern was mainly baroque, I guess. He has, however, an extensive knowledge even in the music of the other ages. 

The rehearsal place was a hall in the midst of farms. Rice has been newly planted everywhere, I believe. Through the hall window, some trees were seen as this photo shows. They were swaying slightly with comfortable breeze coming over the watered rice paddies. He has listened to the rehearsal and told me this orchestra was well trained on the way back. I thought it was a diplomatic compliment. But I was still pleased to know he had not been bored with it. He seemed to have walked around the hall as well.    


The other orchestra members have welcomed this British gentleman visiting the orchestra rehearsal. 


Again, I am amazed to have had such a long period of friendship with him. Several years later, he has visited Tokyo with his son and wife. We have had a pleasant lunch together at a restaurant close to my mother school. Time sure flies so fast. He has become the editor of the FOC magazine, FOCUS, while I quit the club as well as ham radio itself. As a proverb says, those who go first will be last and those who follow will be first. Sometime in the future, hopefully, I would join him on the air by some means.

On the way back to the railway station after the rehearsal, he told me he would recall of the symphony we practised then. It was Brahms' 2nd symphony. Whenever I listen to this piece, I also recall the spring time when we met in person, and of himself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment