4/14/2023

A promise will be realized this fall

My wife has finally decided to retire this fall. At age of 70 years. She has worked longer as a doctor than I have. As a doctor, a mother and a wife, she has worked amazingly well. It is not easy for her to get her clinic closed. A lot of things to do. Even though her clinic is a relatively small one, it has taken over the legal status of the medical corporation I had established at my clinic years ago. As with the procedures in administration, closing the corporation is quite tedious and troublesome. An accounting firm will help her to do that. A lot of items should be transferred from the office to home here. My wife is not good at such work!, I know, and I am sure I will be deployed for that moving work then. 

When we were in engagement in medical school days, we once took a walk along Shinobazunoike in Ueno at night. It was a big pond in a park quiet and serene away from the noisy downtown of Tokyo. Neonsigns were recflecting on the water of the pond. At the height of happiness, sitting on a bench along the lake side by side with her, I told her "Let's do the house chores half and half in the future." Of course, she nodded with big smile. 

Decades have passed ever since.  

Several days ago, she has started talking in smiling tone about how we should share the house chores after her retirement. She asked me how about cooking of 3 days each other and buying something for supper for a day. Candidly, I was dreaming of being freed from cooking. But recalling that words we spoke at that night, I could not deny or resist her proposal. I might have to ask her about that episode in Ueno later.

Anyway, a new and possibly the last phase of our lives will start this fall.

One of the recent supper dish. Home grown spinach with bacon and egg.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment