11/19/2023

Two guys unforgettable with their kindness

Before I forget it, I would write this small but heartwarming episode.


When the aftermath of the nuclear power plant accident was still here and the radioactive substance contamination could spread much more, we were informed

less than we needed about what went on. The US military was going to announce that the US citizens should evacuate farther than 50 miles of radius from the nuclear plants. It was withdrawn soon, though, possibly due to political reasons. They said there had been no such contamination going in the area. But the devastated power plants could have fallen down or could have lost cooling water very easily. The embassy personnels of certain western countries were once told to evacuate to the Western Japan away from the devastated nuclear plants. Being only about 80 miles south west of the nuclear plants, I was feeling that the basics of my life was being collapsed every day.


In such a situation, a ham radio friend, Dave W0FBI has told me he and his wife were ready to visit our country and to help us. He was a retired physician having served in the US army for a long time and was in Japan for 4 years. He seemed quite serious with that proposal. Even though it has not come true, his words was one of the most touching and encouraging proposals those days. Unforatunately, he went silent key due to lymphoma in a couple of years.


Here.


The other person whom I could never forget was Doug ZP6CW. He has been a great CW operator and has been very active on the air. I used to see him often on 15m in our morning hours. The path to Paraguay was always open there even in the bottom of the sun spot cycle. When this place was threatened with contamination by fallout soon after the accident, he abruptly told me to come to Paraguay. His unexpected words of invitation has surprised me a lot. Honestly, it sounded like a kidding to me at first. He was, however, quite serious with that proposal. Of course, I could not leave here throwing all my responsibilities and life itself then. But his seriousness was still unforgettable in my memory. 


In the other post regarding "old QSLs", there was his card in the photo. David N1EA has reminded me of Doug as a superb CW operator. He used to activate a lot of countries shown in the news of his passing from QCWA quoted below. It also reminded me of his kind words in 2011.


Here


So this is the story of two guys whom I could never forget. Through ham radio, I have run across with a lot of people, remarkable as well as respectable with their kindness and personality. These two guys belong to the best people among those in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment