11/24/2023

Tempura again

Tempura again a couple of weeks ago. The left dish was oyster while the right was pumpkin and sweet potato.

One of the purposes of this menu was to consume pumpkin. Dozens of them were harvested a month or two ago. Some of them were given to a friend of mine. But still a lot of them were left and seemingly are going to be decayed before being cooked. I should have sent some to my relatives etc. But it could be, I am afraid, unwelcome favor to them. I hesitated sending them to nephew/niece living in Tokyo. Next summer, I should downsize the farming of pumpkin. 

Sweetpotato could last long, possibly, until next spring. Some of them could be parent fruits next spring. I have found a cooking way to steam them in an electrical jar. It seems important to cook them gradually from the room temp to the high. It is to help changing the starch to maltose. This could be cooked as a material for miso soup as well. A useful and delicious vegetable. 
 


 

Autumn potatoes were harvested yesterday. Pretty good amount. It will be stored in the house and will be cooked little by little.


Oysters were a bit too small but tasted good. Maybe, bigger ones will be available soon. I would try frying them then.


I am still busy planting seedles of onions. Otherwise, the farm is getting quiet.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Dr. Shin. Your tempura looks delicious. We have just celebrated Thanksgiving holiday in the United States. It is traditional to make sweet potatoes, especially in the South. I baked them (sliced) with orange juice, maple syrup, and butter.
    Susan KD4VXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. That sweet potatoes sound so sweet!

      Delete