11/27/2023

A big tree would go away today

As previously shown, there has been a Japanese Judas tree on the western side of the garden next to a neighbor. It has not been planted by us but has grown spontaneously since we built this house. So it is over 40 years old. It has grown a lot of branches with plenty leaves. It looked magnificient in summer like this photo taken several years ago. The leaves turned golden yellow in fall.


We were afraid it could fall on the ground with high wind and could damage the neighbor's home. We asked a gardener to cut the main branches and reduce its size. In a few years, it has recovered its beautiful outlook. I was worrying of an accident with the tree again. 

I have asked the same gardener to cut it at the base. He asked me if the leaves were all fallen? I wondered if they would have been obstacles to cut it. He answered no but we should enjoy its last appearance with beautiful leaves. I noticed I have not been careful about it and, by this time, all leaves were fallen. I was moved with his love for the tree. Leaves turning yellow is a gift to us in his view. This is the photo of the tree taken this morning.


In close up view, the skin of the tree is desquamated. At first, I thought it had been a sign of aging but the gardener told me it was a sign of metabolism for growth. Honestly, I felt a bit guilty at my decision to cut it even it was still actively growing. It should have grown at the center of the garden and could have grown up 20 or 30meters! 


Miscellaneous photos.

A persimmon tree at the south eastern corner of the garden. Full of the fruits. Is it because our cat is making regular patrol everyday that crows won't come to enjoy them yet?
 

A magnolia tree looks colorful. It has undergone lopping off big big branches earlier this spring. It could have been much gorgeous with colorful leaves. Next spring it may grow much bigger and bear a lot of white flowers. 


Azarea at the entrance. Beautifully reddened. 


Looking around the garden, I feel we have grown up together with these trees. At age 40 or 50 years, all of sudden, I became feel closer to those trees. Actually, they looked like family members to me. When my parents have moved here almost at the same time as we did, my father used to care for trees earnestly. At first, I gazed at him working with them. In several years, I found myself to have become a tree lover as well. It might be a heritage or could be a sign of aging. When we feel losing the capability as a living being, we might feel closer to and fond of such trees living long.









 

4 comments:

  1. Your thoughts on the tree are interesting in that I have had similar thoughts and observations. Perhaps as we get older we feel more of a connection to all living things? At our previous home (we just moved a few months ago) there were two large trees in our backyard. These were overgrown when we moved in there 18 years earlier and like you, I had a tree expert come out and trim them up. But they were quickly overgrown and always left us piles of leaves and frequent fallen branches. I decided at some point that it would be best of both were removed. But at some point I began to think like the trees. These were estimated to be at least 70 years old. Who was I to come in and have their lives ended and them removed from the property where they had stood proudly for so long? These had no doubt seen countless summer storms and harsh winters along with peaceful growing seasons. I couldn't be the one to have them removed and I didn't. The new owners may choose to do that some day, but I just couldn't do it...

    73 de Jeff KE9V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a thoughtful decision, Jeff. I am sure you have done a right thing. Your idea on the living things is what I thought in the middle age as well. There must be those who love lives in the nature from youth. But it is interesting most of us start loving them when we are closer to the elderly. Have wonderful life at the new home!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Shin. You write and think so wonderfully. John now N7HCN

    ReplyDelete