5/26/2022

Arleen Auger sings Four Last Songs by Strauss

 I have made a short post regarding a soprano singer, Arleen Auger, in 2013. Here.


Later, looking up for a source of Matthew's Passion, my 1st experience with this music at a concert in my life, I found she had sung there also. It was a concert of Stuttgart Bach Collegium conducted by Helmut Rilling in Tokyo in 1974. I have mentioned about it a few times in the past posts.


A soprano singer other than Auger has cancelled the concert closing in then. Auger seemed to be chosen for the substitute by Rilling. It was her 1st debut for this great music. An article told Auger had practiced her part on the airplane bound for Japan.


And I was heading to NHK Hall where it was performed after practical study in human anatomy at the school. Their performance has overwhelmed me as I reiterated. I am sorry I could not recall how Auger had sung at that time. The whole performance, especially the Baritone having sung the part of Jesus, has given me an impression indescribable. Literally overwhelming performance. Ever since that experience, my journey for this music has began.  


I have listened to Auger singing this music even twice at different concerts in 1970s without knowing of the 1st one until recently. 


I have got a CD of Four Last Songs by Strauss. The soprano singer is Arleen Auger. I believe this is one of the best renditions of this music. She sung with translucent and warm touch of voice. This music is the swan song of Strauss. He has been accused of support or even participation to Nazis after the WWII. When things were settled down for him, possibly foreseeing of the end of his life, he composed of these four songs. 


I felt as if I had met an old friend with this performance.


My heart could not help trembling when I listen to this performance, especially the last two songs. Synchronized with the idea, I feel deeply relieved with it. And the singer is that Auger.


She has died several years later from this recording.  







No comments:

Post a Comment