3/01/2023

Ume fullly out Farming plan

It will get warmer in March as the forecast says. It may get over 10 degrees C almost every day, even though it will be freezing once 2 or 3 days. 

I would plant potatoes in a couple of weeks after having them sprouting. Three kinds of potatoes will be planted. They have different characteristics like resting period or preservability. I may plant some of them in fall again. 

Sweet potatoes were not very successful last year. It might be due to the hot summer last year. Sweet potatoes are important material for boiled vegetables at our home. I should start growing stems from fruits. Sweet potatoes will be covered with nylon and/or non woven material when frost is forecasted.

I have been learning the method of natural farming. It teaches to keep 3 principles; no tillage, no pesticides and no fertilizer. The first two are not difficult to follow. But the last is a it tough when the soil is not rich with grass compost. They put cut/pulled grasses on the farming ridge. It would become compost in a year or so. They say it would take even 5 years to have the soil rich enough to grow vegetables without any nutrients. I have made much compost from weeds as well as vegetable scraps. It has been plowed in the ground. And I would use some organic fertilizer when vegetables won't grow well. Another season of experiment is being started. The result will be evident as the harvest in fall. Honestly speaking, I would do with farming as if it were or is the last chance for me.

Ume is fully blown. I wish I could have tea with my parents at the home they used to live. This tree is located in front of their small living dining. In a week, my sister and her two children with one spouse of the niece will be visiting here the grave of parents near by. We might have a fun lunch together recalling good old days. 
 




The magnolia, my mother's favorite, was heavily pruned last fall. We won't expect a lot of flowers coming out this year. Only some of them shown on the photo above. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment