3/18/2023

Tomato and broccoli

As I wrote somewhere in the recent post, I have failed making seedling from seeds of tomato. They have been induced to sprout on wet paper but have not grown in the pots. They were on a electric carpet or at the window sun shines into. But it must have been too cool for them to grow. It was an important experience. I would try it when it gets a bit warmer. It is early in May when those seedlings in pots are planted in soil. There are a few more weeks to start with the cultivation.


This is a successful growth of broccoli in one of the pots where I have planted the seeds. 



I have treated these broccoli in the same way as with tomatoes. Broccoli are originally from Mediterranean area while tomatoes are from the high land of Andes. Too much watering has caused it? Or still a problem of temperature control? I have got another theme to learn. Interesting.

A few plants of broccoli which I have planted last fall are growing to bear flower buds. Harvesting one of them, I have cooked salad with avocad with olive oil dressing. 


It is the time for me to plant vegetables for spring now. A lot of work. It is worth working hard and watching new lives growing. 


3 comments:

  1. I spoke with a man in Alliance NE,that grows oranges, while visiting his operation. The key to seed germination is ground temperature according to him. I have attached a link to a reporters review. https://youtu.be/IZghkt5m1uY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not mean to post as anonymous, I am KE0ZSB

      Delete
    2. Yes, I know of that. My problem is how to maintain the appropriate temperature in my environment. I first dreamed buidling a greenhouse with warming device. But it is beyond my capability. I would try to grow vegetables suitable for this season. I may try to use the fermentation heat of fallen leaves to do that next year. Thanks for your comment anyway. You are a professional farmer, aren't you?

      Delete