3/26/2023

Chris NW6V and his book "The CW Way of Life"

There used to be, or probably still is, a group of CW lovers around 7026KHz, who have showed up there around 13Z every day. It has started spontaneously about 10 years or even longer ago. Not a club but only a number of close friends through Morse QSOs. Most participants are in the Midwest US. There are a few joining from the Eastern Asia. The main guy was Don WB6BEE in Colo. then. Everyone in the US have had morning coffee while we in Asia were relaxing before going to bed. 

It was around 2013 when Chris NW6V showed up like a comet into the group. He told he had been in QRT for many years. His fist won't sound like that long absence on CW at all. He was handling a bug proficiently like Don etc. He was 64 years old then, a year older than me. 

It was 2019 when I first heard of his project for writing a book on CW. He was going to NJ, his mother state, to investigate on the history of CW. He was looking forward to seeing his, possibly, younger sister there.   

He asked me to review a part of the manuscript one time. It seemed it was intended for new comers on this mode. I have been interested in the neuropsychological process of CW reception. From my own standpoint, I guess, I have replied on my impression to him. 

Several days ago, a friend of mine, Takeshi JA4IIJ let me know of the following book being published and he has found my name/call sign in the acknowledgement in it. I was surprised to know that he did it so fast. A few days later, a copy of this brand new book was sent to me from Amazon in the US. I believe it was a gift from Chris. I have read only the table of content and the few pages in the beginning. It was still written for Morse code learner to give a perspective of Morse code and communication with it. The subtitle, "Learning, Living, Loving Morse Code (in a digital World) says Morse code seems to have occupied a large part of his life, despite of the modern trend in digital communication.  


In the beginning of this book, an episode seeing his sister in his trip in 2019 is depicted. When he told her what purpose he had had for that trip, she said to him "Dah Di Dah Di   Dah Dah Di Dah, isn't it?" While Chris and his father talked with Morse code over the table half a century ago, she was linstening to it and still remembered of the code. It was an impressive episode in fact. Things we learned in youth won't go away even in half a century and Morse code is such a complete system to be remembered easily.    

This book could be a handbook for a Morse code learner and also maybe a autobiography of a great CW lover.

I feel I am inclined to come back on 7026KHz some day, not too soon but in the future for sure, before the group is gone.  

3 comments:

  1. Wud love u coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing at your comment. Thanks for your kind words anyway.

      Delete
  2. Here's a short sample.
    I believe Gerke, the linguist, approached “Morse” as a linguistic scholar would hieroglyphics, and unlike Morse and Vail, Gerke was a professional at this. I likewise suspect Gerke, the musician, approached the Morse code key the way a musician approaches any unknown instrument. Experienced in “interfacing” with musical instruments, he would discover in the key a percussion instrument with which he could reasonably entertain himself tapping out beats, perhaps to the then-popular ”William Tell Overture” or other music. And in the process of so doing, I believe he had a brainstorm. Just as there are rules with any percussion instrument, so there are rules of physics that govern keying. Making The Music of Morse.
    You can buy the book here: https://amzn.to/3TpXDXP

    ReplyDelete