3/27/2023

Plum trees in full bloom and a history of our garden

The plum trees are fully flowering. This biggest one which was planted at the western corner of the property almost 40 years ago has been suffering from mold and won't bear so many fruits for the past years. It seems, however, much better this spring. Every branch has beautiful flowers.


As reiterated in the past posts, it was first only a couple of meters high thin sapling when planted by my father. It had not started growing until it was given chemical to prevent something like mold in spring. 

My father liked trees bearing fruits. Possibly, because he has experienced the time of hunger during and after WWII. This was one of the fruit trees he had planted in addition to a chestnut, a few umes and a few persimmons. Later, we have added apples, blue berries and a fig. Most of them are not well cared for, though. This might be a story I have already told in this blog.

In close up. Amazing tiny twigs are growing from the trunk and even making flowers bloom.


We have planted a small partener plum at the opposite side of the lawn garden. Over 10 years ago, all of sudden, it had borne a lot of fruits without it. We thought bees might have brought its pollen from another tree far away. But it turned out to thank to this tree also planted by my father at the eastern side of the property hidden with the barn or the storage house. I found it fully blooming a few days ago. Writing about it, I have remembered of a goumi tree planted just next to this plum. In spring, my mother picking up its fruits and cramming them into her mouth came out from that corner with a big smile. She was already in dementia state by then.


Again, a series of trivial history in our garden. Investigating about it in this blog, I have found a lot of posts regarding it. I have already forgotten some of them. I have realized how our garden had grown for the past decades. It is surely a history for us.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment