11/24/2022

The very last communication

 I have been keeping another blog in Japanese since 2006. Those days, the so called "malpractice issues" were in debate and doctors were often criticized or even sued to court. An obstetrician was even arrested for the misfortune case that a serious complication of delivery had killed a lady, which looked inevitable to us especially at a small hospital with one obstetrician ward. A lot of doctors have started publishing their thoughts through the internet in the style of blog those days. I was one of them. I have been keeping that blog which became like a political place for commentary and radical criticism! I may continue it for some more years until I get intellectually more deteriorated!


It is like a diary for me even though I seldom write about private things there. Ham radio friends have been one of the topics. In an article titled David N1EA written in 2008, I found an impressive story about him and our mutual friend Laci W1PL. David has been a commercial operator and used to go voyage as a radio operator for a long time. His fist was so excellent as those old timers of old commercial operators.     


The post said we had had a QSO on 20m the other day. David told me about his "very last" QSO with old Laci W1PL. Laci has been another proficient operator and was an immigrant from Hungary during WWII, I believe. He was like a beacon from the East Coast. How couldn't we meet each other since I was another beacon from Far East. David told me he had given a phone call to Laci a few days before his passing. On the phone, Laci seemed to talk in his mother tongue, which David could not understand at all. Having brought an oscillator and a key there, David sent the final message on CW. Laci seemed to understand it and sent back his message on CW. It must have been an impressive event for him and for me as well that ham friends could communicate on CW even if they couldn't in the ordinary way of verbal communication. It was the very last communication between them.


I have forgotten about this episode. Like fallen leaves, I am losing memories and intellectual abilities if I have any. Maybe, when I could not publish my idea or view through the internet, I would spend time reading back those stories interesting to me. I could picture that from now. I don't know if David could operate radio now. Hopefully, he is still advocating this old fashioned mode of communication to new comers.

No comments:

Post a Comment