7/03/2022

A memory of a hall and a friend Cellistin

The other day, a news told me a hall named Mielparoque Hall in Tokyo would be closing in this August. It used to be called Postal Savings Hall before 2008. It was managed by Postal Service Bureau in the past and transferred to a private company when Postal Service was privatized. Anyway, possibly having been less needed for such a hall due to the pandemic, it might go financially wrong these years, which might have pushed it into closure this time.

It was the hall where we played the Beethoven 7th Symphony in the university orchestra in the mid 70s. It was the only concert when I took the premier position of cellists in the orchestra. A memorable concert for me.

In preparation for the concert, I asked a friend of mine, who had started cello at almost the same time as I did, to play the side position at the concert. Exactly, she joined the orchestra a year after me. It was the fall of the year, a year earlier than when she and other fresh members joined the orchestra.

We, beginners, have played simple pieces like Water Music by Hendel or the 2nd movement of the symphony Nr 94th "The Surprise" by Haydn at junior orchestra apart from the main orchestra. It was just for training. For us getting bored with solitary practice of instruments, it was a fun to be able to be in the harmony and chord in that orchestra for beginners, even if it was just musically primitive. At first, having started cello half a year earlier than the other fresh cellists, I have taught them how to tune the instrument. However, since most of them had experienced the other instrument like piano, it won't take too long for them to go ahead from me with cello performance.

This is a photo of the junior orchestra practicing at a summer camp. A few veteran players have joined it. The cellist mentioned later with the initial M is on the 2nd row of cello part.


After practicing in this junior orchestra at either university, our orchestra consisting of students from the universities collaborative each other, we often went for dinner at restaurants together. What a joy it was to have meal together! Half of them were young pretty girls and we shared the same interest in music in addition. Needless to say I was deeply indulged in this orchestral activity very soon. 

In that concert, an accident has happened to M. In the intermission, a bassist has had the end pin of his contrabass erroneously pierced the front board of M's cello. It was just an accident but a serious happening for her. She was almost crying. I checked if it won't cause any noise when being played. Seemingly no noise. Then I told the conductor what had occurred to her instrument. The conductor, almost 80 years old and a retired violinist of a professional orchestra, seemingly understood that. I was a bit suspicious that he had really understood it. 

When the 1st movement was finished, he turned to me and whisperingly asked if M's cello was OK. At first, I could hardly understand what he asked. In a moment, though, I grasped his question and answered it was OK. We have finished the symphony uneventfully.

He has shown signs of old age in the usual rehearsal but was surely a reliable leader at that moment. As a conductor, he might have had a lot of things to think about during the performance. But he has remembered of the trouble which had occurred immediately before the performance started. He has done a great job with conducting this great music.

I can't remember if this was taken at that concert or another chance. Anyway, this is the Cellistins in the cello part those days. M is the 3rd person from the left.  
   


M was majoring in music education and played piano very well. I have asked her to accompany me for the cello sonata e minor of Brahms. Her touch was warm hearted. Until I played that piece with her, I had not known piano sounded quite different according to the pianist. 

Though she was not a singer, I knew she sung in the part of mezzo soprano or alto. I used to ask her to sing the famous aria "Er barme dich, Mein Got" in the Matthew's Passion at a small concert visiting a hospital. We used to visit hospitals for such a concert from time to time. Her singing was not virtuose but was surely moving the audience. The solo violin was played by a girl student who would take the concert mistress seat later. Her violin was also moving us. Another memorable event.

Of course, nothing romantic with her even though I have sometimes come home on the same train in the same route chatting a lot after orchestral activities. After having graduated from the universities each other, however, we have never made any contact. Rumor has it that she has married to a pediatrician in the home area. 

In the beginning of this year, I decided to send a New Year's card to her. All after 40 plus years absence, she seemed to be surprised to hear from me. Between the lines, however, she seemed to be happy that I had written to her. Her husband was already retired and was doing gardening as I do now. She told that she would listen to Horszowski playing the Well Tempered Klavier by Bach, knowing that I admired his performance so much. And she would start playing piano again. Possibly her family duty has refrained her from playing it for some time.  

Again a trivial personal story...

I should visit the hall again before it is demolished.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment