7/06/2022

Gardening and farming, the subject seemingly same but different every time

Bacon. tatsai, spinach bound together with egg. It is often cooked with spinach. Yesterday, it was too few and tatsai was added to it. Both vegetables were from our garden. Fresh and with good taste. In summer, there are few leaf vegetables grown. Water spinach will be taking over them until leaf vegetables are harvested. It sure means of the global warming that this kind of tropical vegetables is growing here in the summer.


It has been too hot these days. It hits above 35 degrees C in the daytime. Avoiding the heat, I am still diligently pulling or cutting weeds in the garden. It is a project to have lawn revive in the front garden, which has been replaced to weeds. Often wondering if lawn is not suitable for the garden in this hot weather and, more fundamentally, if it is ecological right to plant one kind of plants there. It might be quite tough for us to grow lawn without herbicide for lawn. It is a matter of concern here.

Another thought is that this place could become a jungle without my work in a few months when I could not do it. But it is beyond my capability to worry about it after I go away.

A few hydrangea flowers soothe me. It might bear more flowers next year since its buds won't be cut off this year.


Pumpkins are growing at various corner in the garden. It is a bit funny. They look like a part of garden plants. Sweet potatoes are also growing there.  


I get sweated a lot when working in the garden. But no complaint. Isn't it a blessed thing to be able to work this way? Only concern is my hip. I feel my back gets stiffened like a metal board after concentrating on the work for a couple of hours. I also got heat intoxicated without knowing of that. Now I take milk and cold tea from time to time, which is good supplement for minerals. 

An acre of property is still too much for this old man. If it was not from my mother's ancestors, I could have given it up by now. 

Heat and mugginess are waiting for me in the garden again...





 

No comments:

Post a Comment