7/10/2022

Hibiscus syriacus and my father's 18th anniversary

Yesterday, I accidentally found the hibiscus syriacus blooming beneath the big Japanese Judas tree in the southwestern corner of the garden. Not self-assertive but elegantly beautiful. 




A few years ago, I have mentioned of this tree. My father used to bring a few of them from our garden to my clinic. There was a small back yard in the facility. He has planted them there. In this season, they have bloomed like this.

My brother wrote to me that it was my father's 18th anniversary of passing yesterday. I remembered this commemorative day had been sometime in July but did not have it exactly. 

What a coincidence! This flower has reminded me of him on the day of his anniversary.

Maybe, I have reiterated about it in this blog. He has lost his parents in his young days and has not had the chance for higher education than compulsory school. He has been conscripted and deployed to China, where he has experienced cruel war. He has been affectionate to his family and also has been concerned about the war responsibility throughout his life.

He has spent most of his life as a manager or a house keeper in various medical facilities. It might be his dream to work with me at my office sometime. It has unexpectedly come true in '90s when I quit a hospital and have decided to own private practice.

Without telling that to me, he must have been pleased to work at the office even with less responsibility than before. He was already in his mid 70s. He seemed to have visited the office place under construction.   


I have done too little for him as his son while he was alive. Working together at the clinic could be what I did for him. No, it might yet be his help to us like bringing that hibiscus tree to the clinic. 

It is our election for the House of Councilors today. It seems the politics is turning to the military dictatorship in this election. The modern history of our country is being falsified. It is returning to the day of imperialism before WWII, I am afraid. If my father lived until this time, what would he have said about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment