2/24/2022

Ukraine

 Around 1990, when Perestroika was carried out in USSR under the administration of Gorbachov, there were a lot of ham radio activities in USSR including Ukraine. Some hams in various parts of USSR or in the Eastern Europe countries have started talking to me on their personal matters or on their ideas in QSO. One of them in Ukraine was Alex UB5ECE. He was a DX chaser as well as an avid contester. 


I have resigned work at a med school hospital and have started working at a local hospital where I did not need to hustle staying up a night or two in night shift. I finally had much free time for ham radio. The condition was terrific. With beams on a newly constructed tower, the world has become much smaller for me than ever. I have become indulged in ham radio. No doubt, in Ukraine, Perestroika has made it possible for Alex to enjoy radio without any restrictions. We have had a lot of QSOs and of correspondence. I could recall little on what we had talked about. DXing and our DX expedition to Cambodia in 1990? I need to look it up in my old paper log I always recorded what we talked about. In several years, partly due to my inactivity in DX/contesting, I won't meet him on the air any longer.


Knowing what has happened in Ukraine, I was wondering how he was doing there. No QSO with him yet but QRZ.com told he had changed his call from the original one, through UR5ECE, to EN7E. Being able to trace these calls may mean he is doing OK so far. His place seems to be south of Kiev, the capital, in central Ukraine. But who knows the dictator in Russia might have an ambition to regain the reign and hegemony of USSR over Ukraine. It might bring a total mess in Ukraine wherever he might be.


As already posted in Facebook, the Kenyan Ambassador has made an excellent adress in the UN Security Council regarding this problem. No one should never violate the national border already present. Any military invasion from past nostalgia should be forbidden even if the border has not been not established based on the nationality, culture or race. It would bring bloody wars for years. 




In addition, I would say no one should not spread propaganda to accelerate military conflict. Such as publicizing their "intelligence information" for certain purpose. It will increase tension among the countries involved in the conflict and may agitate people to believe a war is inevitable. I am afraid this type of propaganda has been spread from the US government.


I really hope to meet Alex sometime and talk about the mess going on now as an event in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment