2/11/2022

In the day of snowfall

Yesterday, we have had some snow in the morning. It was wet and heavy snow, which almost melted away by noon today. It was good to see everything hued white outdoor. Maybe, because I did not need to go for work. It could be a problem for my wife to commute to her office on the icy roads.



The farm next to our garden and the forest over it ahead in the south were also covered with snow. It sure brings me back to the days of sanatorium where I was born. It had snowed more frequently those days than now. One of remarkable memories was the walk from the maternity hospital to our home at age of 4 years when my brother was born there and father took them back home on a bicycle drawn cart in the snowed field. It was snowy all over. I walked hard even though I might get on the cart on the way. It was terribly cold in the atmosphere but still a warm and fond memory in my life. I have already written about this story elsewhere. 



I have received an envelope from a guy in Sonora California not familiar to me today. On the envelope, he wrote the content, that is, his QSL card with a photo and a letter, was from Peter KN6BI. He also noted Peter had been suffering from lung cancer receiving radiochemotherapy.

The note from Peter told he had met me at a top of a hill in the San Francisco peninsula overlooking the Bay. Maybe, in my first visit to Bob W6CYX with Hide JH0FBH in 1984, Bob has taken us there. Bob has erroneously had the car locked maybe forgetting the key inside. He has asked for help with the handy transceiver. It was Peter who replied to him and came to help us. I could not recall how Peter looked like. But I together with the other two have appreciated his kindness. With his help, we could leave there for Bob's home in Mt. Hamilton.   

Thereafter, Peter said in his note, he had heard me often mainly in the QSOs with Bob. Peter was running QRP and could not get answer from me. If his antenna had been a bit better, I might have heard him. It was deeply emotive that he had listened to us chatting for years. Bob is not active any longer but our very last one in the FOC event in the beginning of this month has been counted as 1254th. Peter has tuned in to us for some time without our knowing that. 

He enclosed a photo taken in San Francisco in 2011. A group of birds are flying before a brick wall. This might be a memorable photo for him. I felt the moment this photo had captured lead us to eternity. 



I closed the reply mail to him saying let's try to have a QSO after his finishing successfully the treatment and coming home. Even though the conversational CW is almost dying. We might be the last and most proud generation to enjoy this way of communication.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment