8/02/2021

Two old friends gone silent key

 Two old friends in ham radio have passed one after another recently. Both of them were active from mobile.


I have met Ed K8RD quite often on 40m in his morning hours. It was from '90s to '00s. He was commuting to Santa Barbara. I was imagining him driving along the beautiful beach there. It is the place I have been when visiting Merle K6DC. Remembering of the scenery there, each QSO was really pleasant. His CW was always correct and neat. It's been too long since we talked on the radio to remember each QSO. However, it was unforgettable that he would move to Arizona once retired. He must have wanted to be settled down there and to operate radio as much as he wanted. No chance for me to hear from his new QTH. But he has sometimes operated radio from his car or from certain club station. He was planning to attend the FOC gathering in Seattle in 2012 but his wife's accident has prevented him from coming there.


The other guy was Red K5ALU. He was also a mobile operation CW man. I can't remember when we started talking on CW. Maybe, in '90s. The conditions were terrific and easy to work those days. He always called me on 20m. His CW was fast and piquant as if his pickup truck pulling that big trailer was running through breeze. At the FOC gathering 2012, I had pleasure to see him and his wife Linda. Honestly speaking, his southern accent was a bit hard for me to understand. But he kindly proposed to bring both me and my wife to the luncheon restaurant at a pier. He has made an adventurous trip to Alaska with a couple of friends after that. It seemed he had lost his wife in a tragic way. When I heard he had given up struggling against cancer a few months ago, I was sure this day came so soon. He seemed to be surrounded with his family members and ham friends until the last day.  


Sorry to have them passed away in succession. But I believe they are free from all worries and anxieties in this world for now. Thinking of that, I wish them rest in peace with their most beloving ones in the heaven.  



Red and his pickup. A big mobile whip was set somewhere in the rear. He has driven around all the US on this car tugging a big trailer for his business. A cheerful and kind person. 

At our age, it is inevitable to lose those friends, rather not to add new friends. Unavoidable thing in our lives. That is why each moment being with friends is so precious and be treasured in our lives. 


RIP, good friends of mine, Ed and Red.

2 comments:

  1. RIP, sad to hear loosing two more great CW ops. Worked em both many times.

    Ron N7RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. They were the CW operators in our age. Missing them much.

      Delete