8/09/2021

The very first message Samuel Morse has sent with Morse code

Recently, I learned what Samuel Morse had sent through the land line for the very first message to the receiver far away. It was a phrase from Numbers of the Old Testament. 


It says;

 

23 Surely there is no enchantment against Jacob, neither is there any divination against Israel: according to this time it shall be said of Jacob and of Israel, What hath God wrought!


This was described in the story of Balak and Balaam in this one of the Pentateuch. There must be temptation to the Israeli from the heathens around them. It emphasizes that Israeli people after having wandered for the land of promise in the wilderness since Exodus, believed in God's words firmly, but not enchantment nor divination. It was a message to have the people united under the same belief for Yahweh, wasn't it?  


They say a daughter of Morse's friend has chosen this scripture. Whatever it may mean, I am sure, they intended to express their motivation and willingness to deliver the message through this new way of communication. It is not such as non scientific thing but an invention based on findings of physics. It must be an intense message they would communicate with this method from then.


Morse code communication has worked well as the main stream of communication world wide. It has conveyed numerous messages whether for commercial use or for ham radio fun. Since the other more efficient and reliable modes of communication have been invented and used mainly in commercial communication, Morse code was destined to be carried on only in the field of ham radio now. Unfortunately, it seems they are forgetting about Morse's intention and will to bring this mode of communication in the world. It was not for exchanging meaningless thing but conversing something meaningful just like the story of Numbers. 


In order to have Morse code live long, shouldn't we recall of the episode at the very beginning of communication on it? When we converse with it, the simplest mode of communication, we could feel being rewarded with it. It is comparable to listening to music. We should experience this pleasure in communication and deliver it to the next generation. Morse code itself is the origin of pleasure in communication.

9 comments:

  1. Can I quote this in FOCUS? There will be an article about an application, made by radio amateurs, to UNESCO for recognition of Morse Code as an intangible heritage. Your article would complement the application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I am pleased to have this short article quoted in FOCUS. I have been thinking my idea as for what brings pleasure in CW communication. When it is completed, I would submit it to FOCUS. Don't work too hard as an editor but remember you are a CW operator before that! Stay well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Shin. I'm looking forward to your academic treatise in due course. Summer radio conditions are terrible here. The bands are mostly silent. I hear your QSOs with USA but I can't hear them. Autumn should be better. Enjoy your gardening. It will soon be cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the meaning has to be sharpened up in English, I understand exactly what Dr. Shin is saying, even though I don't speak Japanese I have been studying ancient scriptures and expressions, I'd be happy to update the English and submit it to Dr, Shin for his approval because the meaning of that passage was very well known to the woman who selected it and to F. B. Morse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balac [Balak] was king of Moab who hired Balaam [Bil’am] [the son of Beor, a man endowed with the gift of prophecy] to curse Israel.

    23 There is no soothsaying in Jacob, nor divination in Israel. In their times it shall be told to Jacob and to Israel what God hath wrought.
    24 Behold the people shall rise up as a lioness, and shall lift itself up as a lion: it shall not lie down till it devour the prey, and drink the blood of the slain.
    25 And Balac said to Balaam: Neither curse, nor bless him.
    26 And he said: Did I not tell thee, that whatsoever God should command me, that I would do?
    27 And Balac said to him: Come and I will bring thee to another place; if peradventure it please God that thou mayest curse them from thence.
    28 And when he had brought him upon the top of mount Phogor, which looketh towards the wilderness,
    29 Balaam said to him: Build me here seven altars, and prepare as many calves, and the same number of rams.
    30 Balac did as Balaam had said: and he laid on every altar, a calf and a ram.
    From an excellent Hebrew to English translation. (verse numbers omitted).

    For there is no divination in Yaakov [Jacob], and no augury in Israel; at once it is said to Yaakov, to Israel, what God intends. Here, a people arises like a king-of-beasts, like a lion it lifts itself up: it does not lie down till it eats (its) prey, and the blood of the slain it drinks. Balak [king of Moab] said to Bil’am: If you just cannot revile, revile them, just do not bless, bless them! Bil’am spoke up and said to Balak: Did I not speak to you (before), saying: All that God speaks— that (alone) may I do?! Balak said to Bil’am: Pray go, I will take you to another place; perhaps it will be right in God’s eyes that you will revile them for me from there. So Balak took Bil’am to the top of Pe’or that overlooks the wasteland. Bil’am said to Balak: Build me here seven slaughter-sites and prepare for me here seven bulls and seven rams. So Balak did as Bil’am had said; and he offered-up a bull and a ram on (each) slaughter-site.


    Fox, E. (1995). The five books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy ; a new translation with introductions, commentary, and notes (Nu 23:23–30). New York: Word Publishing.

    It really makes sense when you see what King Balac, king of Moab was trying to do, he hired Balaam, who was a prophet to speak against Israel, but what is said recalls the delivery of Israel from Egypt and the Lion, Israel's future victories, and the beauty described, that God grace and the honoring of God's covenant was upon Israel.

    God has indeed done an awesome work, Mr. Morse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      Thanks for the explanation on this story. I am not concerned about the context so much. I believe they wanted to express their will to start the new mode of communication with quotation of this scripture. The archeology of the old testament is interesting to me, though. It seems the scientific archeology could explore the events described in the old testament after the ages of Canaan.

      What I wanted to say in this short article is that Morse code was originally invented to deliver meaningful messages by Morse. We should never forget that fact.

      Shin

      Delete
  5. Good evening Shin. I just had a nice QSO with you. I read with interest your QRZ page about your accomplishments as a MD and cellist, and more specifically your interest in the present and future of CW. I became active as CW only in 1982, but was periodically QRT for many years due to living in a HOA, work demands and raising a family. Now retired I became fully active again last February and was surprised at the average ages of the CW operators today. I applaud you for your interest and participation in the furtherance of the future of CW. It was good talking with you today via CW and hope to do so again soon. I will leave you with a quote from my QRZ page. "One thing I have noticed about the bands today compared with the 1980s is the compuerization of Amateur Radio, a welcomed change, and the other change is that the average age of CW OPs appears to be in the 70s and 80s. I hope more interest and encouragement is generated in the younger generations to carry on the great historic and worthwhile legacy that CW offers."
    God Bless and 73,
    Bob- N4OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Thanks a lot for the QSO yesterday and your this comment. I say amen to your ideas and thoughts on CW. I believe we should enjoy it in our own ways and maybe verbalize its pleasure in the internet or in any magazine, which, I believe, could be valuable advocate of this old mode to young new comers. I am glad you could put up that loop away from HOA restrictions. Your signal was coming through loud and clear. I hope to catch you again very soon.

      Shin

      Delete