2/20/2023

MiYoTa by Takemitsu

Nagano prefecture is located in the center of the main land of our country. It is a mountenous area. Route 18 runs north west from Karuisawa, a famous resort, to Ueda. It is located in the skirt of a volcano Asama mountain to the north with a big river named Chikuma river flowing on the opposite side. Driving that route, we could enjoy grand view of the big valley along that river. 


I have enjoyed driving that route for many times. Twice with my wife and once with my mother. Most often alone. When I quit working at a med school hospital, I had had a month long break until I started working at another hospital. During that period, I have visited there 2 or 3 times by myself. It was in late 80's.

It was not too long ago when I knew Toru Takemitsu had spent summer at a cottage in Miyota town those days. I was always conscious of the town with peculiar name when I went through there. It was a small town next to Karuisawa. It is the place where he has produced a lot of masterpieces. It reminds me that he has been a contemporary composer to me.

In 1996, when he passed away, another renowned composer Toshiro Mayuzumi made a speech. Takemitsu used to be an assistant to him in his young days. Composing music for a movie together, Takemitsu hummed a tune before him, which Mayuzumi, a supervisor for him at that time, thought too beautiful to make use for the movie. At the funeral, Mayuzumi has introduced it humming before the attendees and told it was the saddest tune he had ever known. A close friend of Takemitsu's, a poet Shuntaroh Tanikawa, has written lyrics to it. The title is MI・YO・TA. Of course, after the name of the town he used to stay every summer. The lyric refers to recollection of an important person, possibly of a girl friend in young days. No, the objective was Takemitsu himself. The sunray filtering through the trees is a key figurative word in it. Takemitsu used to walk around the forrest there, as he said, trying to listen how the nature sounded. Tanikawa must have known of his creativity in the forrest.

This is  MI・YO・TA, a chorus version. There are a lot of different versions. I am not capable of translating the lyrics by myself. As Mayuzumi told at the funeral ceremony for Takemitsu, the tune sounds sad but, at the same time, peacful at least to me. This double meaning won't bring us down but lift our minds up to higher place, I believe. It is always a characteristic for Takemitsu's works.

 

Writing this post, I have investigated on his life again. I knew he had lived with serious illnesses throughout his life. In his young days, he has had tuberculosis which urged him to be hospitalized for a few times. Later, he has suffered from collagen disease. Complicating cancer has made him deceased at pretty young age. As I wrote, he had lived life in close relation with death, as we say, lived life side by side with death. That should be the reason why his music sounds that way, dual meaining apparently in contradiction. 

It is the 27th anniversary of his passing today.



2 comments:

  1. When I was 17 years old I bought an album of Takemitsu's November Steps with Messiaen's Turangalila symphony, Seiji Ozawa and the Toronto Symphony. It was pretty avant gard in those days, and there was something fresh and vibrant in both works. The album was noted also for its high fidelity production standards.
    I took the album with me to various places I've lived including Thailand and Sri Lanka, but it got lost somewhere. I have it online now but I miss the old vinyl.
    Takemitsu was a very fine composer. Thanks for your piece, Shin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure were going ahead farther than me then. In my teen age days, the very 1st LP record I got was Symphonie Fantastique of Berlioz played by Ozawa and Toronto Symphony. Even though Takemitsu was composing November Steps at the cottage in Miyota in late 60s.
      Yes, there are two aspects in his works, one pursuing the delicate harmony, that was often avan gard those days, and the other with familiar and unforgettable melodies. In his mind, both must have been from the same origin in creativity. Honestly, I am still inclined to the latter genre. I would go further for the other side of his music. It seems, however, his works were united in his later life like Family Tree.
      Anyway, thanks for your impressive comment. You must be a bit "strange" boy those days being not interested in Rock en Roll but in such as Takemitsu.

      Delete