9/17/2022

Season for chestnut cooking

The season of falling chestnuts has started. Chestnuts themselves or in burrs are falling on the ground. It sounds like thudding. I am sometimes surprised at that low pitched sound. Now I have realized it was that season.

It is almost 40 years old chestnut tree which bear so many fruits in fall. As I already told elsewhere, my father liked trees bearing fruits. This chestnut tree, two persimmon trees, three ume trees, one japanese apricot and others. They are still growing in the property. Fruit bearing trees are told not suitable for garden. But since he experienced the days of food deficit after WWII, he has still planted those trees at his home here. 

I could not help being sometimes embarrassed to have so many chestnuts at one time. I still collect them on the ground and would peel the outer skin to be preserved. It has been a hard procedure to peel it as you may know. I was taught about a peeler named Kurikuribouz, shown in the left picture, which stands for a boy peeling the chestnut skin in a kind of humorous sense in our language. I have got it and found quite useful to do the procedure by myself. Smooth and safe.  


This amount of chestnuts have become a material for chestnut rice shown as below.


I believe it is one of the best rice cooking. However, it seems too sweet for my wife. And I am the main consumer of this cooking.

How many times should I go on peeling them and storing them in the refrigerator? And how to cook them. It is the problem. Being boiled, they taste great. They might be used for confection as well. It is a source of high caloric food anyway.


Collecting the fallen fruits on the ground and then sweeping the fallen leaves beneath the tree. 


Fall is being deepened in this way here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment