9/23/2022

An old photo and garden work around equinox

My sister has sent me another copied photo. It shows a group of people, about a dozen of people, a few working at and some visiting from a certain city to the sanatorium, where I was born and grown up for the first few years. It was early '50s. My sister told me we were called to let one of the visitor take a photo. We might have gathered there. I could not recall that situation. But, on the backgrouund of us, the pine trees standing at regular interval with cottage like tiny houses for the patients lined among them look very familiar to me. I was around 4 years of age while sister around 6 or 7 and younger brother in toddlerhood or infancy. We were all poor. My sister told me she had envied the white sandal a visitor's daughter wore. She was naked feet.

I could not help smiling at my father. He must be abruptly called from working in the farm. He was sunburnt with his face getting dirty, possibly, with soil. He also wore very simple trousers and white shirt with one or two lower buttons not fastened. A big straw hat was on his head. That clothing and outlook is exactly the same as I have had in the summer. 

Again, we were poor. But everyone looks hopeful and brilliant. 

Having scanned that copy, I could not covert the pdf file to jpeg etc. The computer program of scanning compulsorily leads to a software which I could use only after paying some money to the software company A****. No thanks. So sorry but I could not post the photo here.

On the equinox day, with a typhoon gone, it is getting quite cool. My mother used to say "The autumn sun sets as quickly as a bucket dropping into a well". Yes, she has grown up in the days when they were using underground wells drawing out the water with buckets. The bucket was set at one side of a balance made of bamboo. They drew up the water with that balance. The bucket fell quickly into the water in the well when the balance was freed. 

Her saying also means not only how fast the sun set in but also how fast the fall season progressed into winter. As a farmer, I feel that fast transition of seasons now. Seeding and planting the winter vegetables as well as harvesting the summer veggies keeps me quite busy.

Cosmos is coming out. They are swaying elegantly from breeze.

              
                             

In close up. They are growing from spontaneously sown seeds.


A flower of clustger amaryllis. There used to be a lot of them at a corner of the garden. Intentionally or unintentionally, most of them were removed. My wife doesn't like its artificial outlook. It's still a precious flower telling the arrival of equinox season.


Fall potatoes. Growing only with a small amount of fertilizer. The fruits will be the material for cooking until next spring.


Radish baby plants. Should be care for any insects eating the leaves. Growing pretty fast.



So things go on in the same way. My sister said she was happy that I was still here caring for the plants etc at the very same place all of us were born and grown up. I replied to her I sometimes asked myself how long I go on working here at this place. A bit too large property for a 73 years old goat. Writing that complaint to her, I still realize things will go beyond our thoughts. In decades, everything will not keep the same outlook as it is now. It is beyond our responsibility. Just doing own duty to care for the land. Without anxiety for the future, it turns to be a pleasure for me.  






 

No comments:

Post a Comment