10/31/2023

Two pamphlets in '70s

As my wife is bringing various things back home, it is causing a domino effect at our home. Arranging old things indoor and at a storage shed outside, which have never been touched for decades, I am finding old memorable things as well. 

This is the pamphlet for the concert of the university orchestra in 1974, which, as mentioned elsewhere, I was a beginner of cello and was not on the stage. I was responsible for recording with a big tape recorder at the recordeing booth in the hall.

As told before, the main program was Brahms' Nr 3 Symphony. It was too exciting performance for me to stay in the booth. In the 4th movement, I quietly got out there and listened to them playing it on a guest seat.

The cover was designed by a good friend of mine, an oboist. I still remember him designing from a photo of previous concert at the dorm room which we shared.


The other pamphlet found this time was that for a concert of h minor Mess by Bach. In the end of 1979, when we were married and started residency at a university hospital here, we were attending that concert as we used to plan before living in that countryside place. It took only an hour and 20 minutes for us to go to the downtown of Tokyo where various concerts had been held. We thought we could go back to Tokyo for concert quite often.

Residency was not so easy going as we expected. It took only short time before we realize that night shifts and house chores kept us too busy to go there.

Looking at this pamphlet, I was surprised to find the conductor was Helmut Rilling. The orchestra and choir were japanese. In the end of year, they perform Beethoven's 9th everywhere. I guess I dared to choose this h minor Mess because of this conductor, who had impressed me a lot with Matthew's Passion in my student days as depicted elsewhere. I have forgotten that completely even though I remembered going to h minor Mess concert those days.  


Both of them were politely put in a file cover and stored again in a book shelf.

Cleaning in domino effect is mostly boring but is sometimes bringing me back to old days in this way.


I should carry it on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment