10/21/2022

Remembering of friends in a drive to the mountain area

A short post. Getting bored with routine as a house keeper, I went for driving to the mountain area north of here. It took me a couple of hours one way. I have already written about such a drive twice or even more in this blog. 

Radio weather forecasts often mentioned of autumn leaves there recently. I wanted to seem them also. 

On a shore of a headstream of Kinu River, running north to south as a major river here around here, showed quiet and peaceful scene.


It seemed only 20 or 30% of leaves of foliage on the mountain have turned colorful. 

As written before, such a solo drive brings memories of people, especially those already died. 

Jim VK9NS was one of them. I have related about his and a drive trip taking him around here. It was a hectic days when we were so enthusiastic for DXing. He used to keep a net on 20m SSB called Southern Cross Net in our late afternoon hours. His signal was always blasting there and attracting a lot of guys from Europe. In several years, the net has become silent, though. I wonder how his wife VK9NL is doing.

The other guy coming up in my mind was Ozeki JA1APF. He used to work at an office/factory in a skirt of this mountain area. In mid '80s, when I was driving on a trunk road with my family and was calling CQ on 70cm FM, he has given me a call. Yes, I was a nut and was operating VHF FM mobile or even CW on HF from my car. He was on the way back home in Saitama as he always did in the week ends. He was a sociable guy and we started QSOs on that band every week end while he was driving from his office back to home. For a couple of hours! He sometimes dropped by us here and had a cup of tea with us. 

He was so kind to bring my mother to a hospital when both of us could not do that. I believe all of my family member knew of him as Ozeki san. He used to belong to the pioneer generation of ham radio after WWII and let me know how he had been licensed. The administration officers have brought several measuring instruments to his home in the station licencing exam. He has been good at building radio or other things. He has helped any of us to construct antennas etc. 

I have heard he had sometimes had nausea and vomitting before he was brought to an emergency ward on an ambulance car. He wanted me to attend him there and they have given me a phone call. It was a cold winter morning. Wondering what has happened to him, I rushed to the hospital. When I reached there, he has already passed away. The cause seemed to be myocardial infarction. The prior symptom of vomitting might be due to the same issue, I am afraid. I wondered if I could do anything more. In an episode of that symptom, I ran to his office with a bottle of div solution and gave it to him, which seemed to work well in that case. I had a least idea that it could be due to heart issue. He has never complained of chest pain etc suggestive of cardiovascular event. Anyway, whenever I drive to the mountain area, I still remember him like an own family member.  

This should have been shorter. Too much yakking. In fact, I have a recollection of a patient whom I was on charge for in my resident days. Maybe, later.

The piano trio Nr3 in f minor by Dvorak has been played in the car throughout the trip. What a sentiment and energy in it! 

Before it gets frosty, I should have the tiny baby plants of onions and leeks covered with sheets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment