10/27/2022

Clearing up the garden farm

 I have had left knee pain for the past several weeks. It is what I have often heard from old friends in the past. I thought I had become so old as the same issue, possibly, osteoarthritis deformans, at the knee occured to me. It is an aging process. Quite a few friends have undergone the knee joint replacement, I know. At the worst moment, I could hardly walk and it was tough for me to stand up from sitting position. My wife told me to consult to an orthopedic doctor. But I didn't. I hate seeing a doctor, especially an orthopedician from my experience with one of them when I got the intervertebral disc herniation. 

Of course, I knew it had been my prejudice and improper judgement. Anyway, I decided not to see a doctor but to treat it conservatively by myself. I said no thanks to my wife proposing to give me a pain killer. Warm the painful joint and when not so painful, try to walk as much as possible. Warming at night when asleep seems pretty effective. For the past week or two, it is getting much better. I could resume almost daily routine as before. I may need more walking and also reducing body weight.


Sorry for an old man's complaint. This experience taught me it had been only an indian summer, rather, der Alteweibssommer that I could go on living without any health issue only for a while. Any health issue could descend on me and would deprive me of daily routine any time. I should be ready for such a life event from now on. Even though this is only a minor event in life, I have remembered the Adagio of Nr 15 string quartet by Beethoven.


That knee arthralgia has kept me away from working hard in the garden/farm. It is getting quite cool at night and may be frosty very soon. I have made up my mind to get away the tomatoes now. One of tomato farm was cleared. I could plant leek, onion or some beans there. The tomato plants were still bearing some green fruits and were scenting as if in midsummer, which I love so much. It was a bit sad to cut and pull the plants. Maybe, in the next summer, tomatoes will revive somewhere else. 



Six plants were growing in this tiny lot. It had had much compost mixed before they were planted there. The soil is still soft. A part of the pulled plants are seen on the upper part of this photo. I will leave it there until they become compost. I should clear up the vegetable plants for the summer left in the farm very soon. Some more tomatoes and taros etc. To get ready for the upcoming winter.






No comments:

Post a Comment