6/09/2022

Tempura

Yesterday, the dinner menu was Tempura. I rarely cook that dish. One reason is that it is not easy to do with the used oil after cooking. But its simplicity as a dish has made me try it yesterday.


Wow, messy table. I should have cleaned it before taking this photo.

The right one is sardines, of course, fried. It was my first experience to fillet it. Chicken was seasoned with sake and soy sauce before being cooked. A few vegetables as well were fried. As a conclusion, pretty successful.

It reminded me of my father who used to cook this dish pretty often. He has fried everything in Tempura. However, one day, the oil fired itself. The small dining kitchen was choked with soot and the ceiling got literally black with it. He was lucky not to have it burned. Ever since, I believe, he has stopped cooking Tempura. I could have made the same trouble without the timer built in the stove. Again, I realize I am following the same milestone of life after him.

Still busy to cut/pull the weeds in the garden. I need to prepare a bit more spots for pumpkins and water melons. Even if my place is large compared with the standard homes in our country, it is not east to get spots for several of them, which require about 2 or 3 sq meters for each of them. The spots should be well drained as well as well sunny. When I find such a place, I plow and put some compost there. I am not using fertilizer or other chemicals as a rule. You may find those tiny farms at separated places in our garden. Kind of funny.

It was brightly sunny this afternoon. Cool and breezy. We are still in the rainy season and may have damp days again from tomorrow. It is not very comfortable but is necessary for vegetables and crops to grow. Snow pea and onion are over. Potatoes are being harvested. If I count all the vegetables growing here, they are okra, leek, spinach, sweet potato, water spinach, radish, carrot, egg plant, ginger, common bean, soy bean, pumpkin, water melon, melon and tomapi depicted in another post.  I have forgotten adding tomato to the list. It is getting gorgeously ripened. It sounds like a real farm even though the size is very small. It is just a result having worked in the garden farm every day. Not boasting at all. There are a lot of troubles around me, the society and the world. I could be free from them so far as I am working in the garden. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I did something and lost my comment. Here’s another try at it.

    I think it’s great that you limit chemical use in your garden. We don’t use chemicals on our fruit trees and berries either. Since we don’t have a garden we buy our vegetables from community supported agriculture, small family farms in our area. Those farmers are organic. How nice it is to buy vegetables, etc from our neighbors.

    Tempura sardines? I never heard of that and now I want to try it.

    Steve - KB6VSE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Chemicals for farming are getting much more expensive. And, as you know, they will derange the ecology of the soil. No use of chemicals is compatible with sustainable way of life. The only problem with the organic or natural farming is that the harvest is smaller in amount, they say, about 50% of conventional agriculture. It is the reason why we ordinary citizens should start farming. I am afraid the organic/natural farming is not so "productive" as conventional farming that it could not be an industry.

      Sardine was not bad. Also tried salmon. It was good also. Try fresh fish for tempura. Would Barb cook it while you are winding down in the living room or before the radio?

      Delete