1/09/2022

Langsamer Satz by Belcea String quartet

Just for a memorandum.


 I have written about Webern and this piece, one of his early works, in a previous post.  Here.


This performance by Belcea String Quartet, a British ensemble debuted in 2000, attracts me most. It starts quietly with the melody by the 1st violin. The beginning won't indicate the lively drama coming up later. The 1st violin player renders exquisitely moving passages. It could not be more romantic. I believe she is positioned as the center in this ensemble. This quartet is named after her family name. I am most indulged in her song with the instrument. I wish they would have released this piece with CD. Not yet. 



Last night thinking over about this piece when going to sleep, I felt this piece is not only a romantic piece but also expressing the sorrow of existence. As with deeply emotional music, it expresses both pleasure from romanticism as well as sorrow at the same time. It is strange enough but sure reflects two aspects of a life event. That may be why such a piece of music fascinates us so much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment