1/28/2022

Johannes Passion

 Whenever I listen to Johannes Passion by Bach, I am always confounded by the beginning tune of this music. Honestly, it sounds too irritating and brings me to anxiety. I have been wondering if I was too much or erroneously sensitive to this music.



Recently, reading a book regarding this Passion by Tadashi Isoyama, whom I had mentioned as a renowned researcher in Bach in this blog before, I learned that my impression was not out of focus. The instrumental part in the 1st tune is composed of 3 melodies, the melody by the wood wind instruments, that of the strings and the basso continuo. The basso continuo may reflect, as Isoyama depicts, the world created by God. Slow melodies by the wood wind may represent the hardships brought by human Sin while the perpetuum mobile of the higher strings may express the strain toward Christ's death on the cross as the Atonement. They are characterized by usage of variable discordances. 


The discordances are featured in the melodies as well as the harmonies. It is amazing Bach has featured such discordances fighting and opposing each other in this music. It turned out to make me feel that anxiety whenever I listened to it.


From this point of discussion below, it is mainly a product of my speculation. Johannes Gospel was established in the end of the 1st century AD, when the Temple of Judaism was completely destroyed and the people was destined to disperse around the world. The Primitive Church of Christianity needed to theologically identify themselves with the New Testament. For the last Gospel among 4 of them, Johannes Gospel should be established to clarify the difference from the faction of John the Baptist. It is historically to be missioned world wide. This characteristic music of strain may reflect the situation of the Primitive Church those days. Of course, Bach was deeply influenced by Luther. I have not followed what Bach was taught by Luther's thoughts yet. 


I was a bit relieved to know that this Passion starts with strain and anxiety as I have felt. 


Isoyama has submitted the doctoral article on Johannes Passion for the degree in musicology and had the oral examination on it on 26th Jan 4 years ago. Of course, with his knowledge and academic capability, he could have obtained the degree long time before. That article was the base of this book later published. He has met an accident in a week or so after the examination. And eventually he has died with a serious damage to brain on Feb 22nd. Later, his family was given his doctoral degree by the university he submitted the article. It was a big loss in music society. But I always admire him finishing his life in this way even though it was not intended at all. 

This time in a year is the time for me to remember of this researcher and his works which have brightened and lead me to understanding of Bach.

No comments:

Post a Comment