5/30/2020

A great treat and ambivalence

It was like in the midsummer at the peak of solar cycle last night. Twenty meters was fully open to the whole NA at around 13Z. I have had nice chats, literally of the best quality, with 4 old friends in a chain.

Cap W0CCA from Colorado has told me they had frost recently and it was a bit early for them to plant tomatoes. Our tomatoes were bearing fruits now, I said to him. He was envious of our weather suitable for vegetable growth. I told him to build a green house and his wife could grow vegetables even if it got frosty. His orchard of apple trees seemed to be flourishing. I have imagined of beautiful white flowers covering all the orchard. I told him to read the op-ed by the social science/liberal arts researchers I posted in this blog recently. I knew he had had an idea of liberalism and might sympathize the idea they published in the article. 

The next one was Bob W9YXX in Indiana whom I regularly but not so often meet on the air. He has been at the summer cottage possibly for social distancing. However, after 3 months of absence, he could start playing tennis with his company and has just come home from the tennis court. He told me he had not been active on the air recently. I must say so did I. Mainly, due to too few good QSOs on CW. His son, Ryan aged 42 years, was retiring in a couple of months and was starting a farming business close to his home, which he had yearned for a long time. How nice it was for Bob and his wife to have Ryan and his family so close to them! It must be challenging endeavour to start with 30 acre farm by himself. But sure worth challenging. I am sure good farming products will be demanded by people. Our mutual friend, Jim, W9VNE seemed to do well and was planning to visit Bob very soon. Bob has excused of his imperfect fist but was still a beautiful CW sender as before.

I heard a bit slow but flowing bug calling me for the next QSO. It was old Sam K4DGJ. We used to chat in '80s through '90s. He was an ophthalmologist and had common concern in medicine and so forth. He told me he had turned 79 years of age. His sending was quite the same as decades ago. 

The last one was Bernie K1SA from ME. Amazing the band was still alive at around 14Z. It has been a few years since I saw him last time. I told him I had thought of him a few days ago. There are a lot of friends whom I haven't heard for a long time. He was one of them. This QSO has sure reminded me of enjoyable chats we made around '00.

What a great treat it was for me! Too often I switch off the radio after calling CQ in vain for certain long time. Honestly speaking, I was inclined to close down ham radio in the near future. I have had a real great life in ham radio since age 13 years. CW has been my love and one of the most important things in life. I have had so many good friends all over the world through this hobby.

However, as a matter of fact, inactivity of CW and the change in the licensing system in Japan have made me less enthusiastic for radio than before.

I am still wondering what to do with it.

Seeing these great operators on the air sure makes me hesitate leaving this hobby...what shall I do? 

6 comments:

  1. That's an easy one to answer old friend....DO NOT leave the hobby. There are still some of these kind of CW ops who stand out above the crowd; you simply have to be willing to hunt a bit harder to find them. Furthermore, if you leave the hobby, you will no longer be able to stay in touch with these outstanding CW ops and that includes yours truly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it Rod? I could speculate you from your writing style and its content! Thanks a lot. I fully understand you and appreciate your concern. I should leave it or should downsize the station, I am still wondering. Even if I leave it, I would take you as an important friend of mine and respect you as for how you have been a CW lover. Let's keep in touch!

      Shin

      Delete
    2. Kind of like my fist I suppose....I can't hide, can I? Yes, it's me! I'll always keep in touch with you after the many decades we've been such good friends. Given the choice though, I'd prefer we keep in touch via CW, and I tend to think you might feel the same....Once more, DO NOT leave the hobby old friend.

      Delete
    3. Your fist has been the objective for me since I first met you, Rod. I could not thank you more for letting me in FOC and A1OP. You are one of the two sponsors alive for now. I will take your words serious. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Was a funny morning here in Colorado. I was tuning around on 20 meters and actually heard all four of those conversations (at least your side). You have too many friends in radio, Shin, to depart. It may be that the variety of conversations is declining, but that does not make them any less enjoyable. Even if I have talked with someone only a day or so ago, there is always satisfaction in conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      I should say there is dicrepancy of ham radio experiences between us.No, I won't boast of mine. But, having been on the air for so many years, I feel it might be the time for me to retire. It is a problem within myself as well as a matter of the objective fact. It may take me a while to decide what to do. Don't misunderstand that I got pessimistic and depressed at the situation. Feeling very thankful for all ham radio has given to me, I might quit it. It may not be appropriate to discuss about such a problem before making up my mind. Sorry for that.

      Shin

      Delete