9/14/2026

Struggle with weeds

The weeds in the yard/farm should be ecologically diverse. They used to be at least before this summer. However, this year, they have been only two kinds growing in our lot. Their growth rate and amount are beyond my experience in the past.


One is Himeshiba, that is, Digitaria Ciliaris in academic term. The other is Tsuyukusa, that is, Commelinales or Dayflower. 


The former is a kind of Poaceae. Its growth is so fast that it overgrows most vegetables. They bud in non homogenous way. If they are cut or pulled away, some of them tend to grow later. Growing one after another, they seem to ridicule us pulling them. They prolierate like nuts.


The latter are clusering in wet area on the land. They bear "self pollinating flowers" in the soil. They turn to be seeds beneath the ground. It is not enough for us to cut or pull them. But we should carefully dig out those seeds in the soil. Very troublesome. The plant itself is an annual grass but the seeds are told to survive for years or even for decades. The plant could grow roots even after being pulled out. When I find a cluster of this weed, I am almost withered before they are. 


I just wonder what has brought extuberance of these particular weeds. I am afraid it might be related with the global warming. Warming might be beneficial to those weeds which used to come from tropical area. If this guess is correct, this phenomenon may be carried on.


A friend of mine, a farmer, told me to use heribicides. He is spraying a glyphosate related herbicide in the garden. Or, as he told me, it is impossible to control those weeds. Some weeds are becoming resistent to glyphosate, as he said. I am not willing to use herbicides especially, glyhosate for the next generation, even though I am not sure who would take over this land.


It could be a problem for the next generation how to do with the proliferating weeds. 


I would go out with a sickle and struggle with the weeds. I have already planted potatoes in the weeds flourishing land.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment