1/07/2023

Nanakusa Porridge

On Jan. 7th, we have a tradition to eat porridge of seven weeds. The porridge contains 7 kinds of weeds, including raddish, which bud out in this season in a year. A simple porridge seasoned only with salt. It is a seasonal festival handed down from ancient people. It is to rest our stomach after having had a lot of gorgeous foods in the New Year's Day holidays.


I have never been interested in such a tradition. But maybe, getting older, I would try it tonight. Porridge used to be a dish my mother, as the other mothers in Japan, prepared for us when we got sick in oour childhood. Nostalgic as well as gentle taste.




I had to confess to my wife that I had happened to find the freeze dried material of this porridge at a supermarket. I would not have bought such an item when I was young.  

It is not bad for us to try such a humble dish as porridge from time to time recalling old days.


No comments:

Post a Comment