4/16/2022

Fresh spinach with beef, growing summer vegetables

Spinach is a difficult vegetable to grow for an amateur farmer. One reason is that it requires alkaline soil for the ground. How much magnesium lime should be given to the ground is a bit tricky question for me. I should have got a measure device for acidity of the soil. Last fall, it was not a fault but should be called success. Some of them have germinated and have grown. Without much fertilizer given to them, they have not grown big enough in the winter. However, they finally grew as it got warmer. I finally harvested some of them and cooked them with beef seasoned with oyster sauce etc.  
  

It is just a stir fry. What I intended to with this menu was not to cook spinach too long. Only for shorter time than doing with the other materials. It was to keep spinach fresh in the dish. Has it turned out to be successful?

Broccoli are almost all harvested and started bolting with beautiful flowers. Almost all winter vegetables are over. It is time to germinate summer vegetables at present. It is sometimes getting frosty at present. It is making me puzzled when I should sow the seeds. In case with tomatoes, I would have the fruits grow before the rainy season starts in June. For that purpose, early sowing seeds is necessary. I have already planted tomato seedlings bought at a store and sweet potatoes to obtain the seedlings. This weekend, it is forecasted we should have frost. I should have take a maneuver to have the seedlings survive through it, covering them with grass mulching and/or putting non-woven fabric sheets over them.


A few kinds of vegetables were already sown in pots indoor. But these are not successful so far. I may need a green house.


This series of success and fault is, however, a process of learning and a pleasure for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Well done. We are growing two types of spinach, pak choi, cale and mustard in sand boxes. We enjoy the fruits of our labour as a small mouthful every week or two.
    I watched a performance of Four Last Songs today on my Berlin Philharmonic pay channel. Camilla Nylund was the soprano. I re-played the last two songs a few times. The fourth one in particular reminds me of Der Abschied from Mahler's Das Lied. The atmosphere is valedictory in a strikingly similar way, though the musical technique is completely different. It amazes me that I never came across this before. It will become a favourite, many thanks indeed. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and I read that Strauss was influenced by Hermann Hesse's poetry. This is quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete