7/17/2020

Jim KF7E

Yesterday, before sunset here, I have met Jim KF7E, an old friend of mine since '80s, on 40m. The band was a bit noisy with OTH radar. His signal was, however, quite readable like in '80s. 

Several days ago, he kindly emailed me on his first grandchild's birth. He often told me on his daughter since her student days. That made me pleased a lot to hear of her uneventful delivery and birth of her son. In the beginning of the QSO yesterday, I dared to call him "grandpa Jim".

We often made QSOs when he was commuting to or from the office especially in night shift. Not very loud but really talkative. A lot of fun seeing him from his mobile. Many years have passed since then. The QSO yesterday was good enough to remind me of those days. 

We have joined FOC almost at the same time, in '88 for me and a year or two later for him. Ever since, we have made even more frequent QSOs. Eight years ago, we met first time face to face at the FOC gathering near Seattle. He was always smiling and was a prudent person. Probably, our incapability in English conversation has made him quiet, I don't know. I felt we had been a real good friends for a long time at that time. 


This was taken at the luncheon at W7GKF. The guy with red shirt is Jim while yellow one is Alan AC2K, one of the hosts of this gathering. Red K5ALU and his wife Linda are on sitting on the back. They are young and vivid on this photo. A gorgeous and happy time with people well known to me.

I believe Jim has successfully retired this spring. He has had a chronic health issue and should be very happy to have retired. Last night, he was anxious about Martha who visited their daughter's family and was on the way back home. The COVID19 is worst in Arizona. The flight from Utah to PHX could be hazardous as he told. Martha has had a few risk factors. I really hope she would make it uneventfully. 

Thus, we, though Jim is 4 years younger than me, could spend a bit more time together with blessed health. Even in this unstable and risky circumstances. 

The QSO with him yesterday has brought me back to good old days. 

8 comments:

  1. Yes, Shin, I remember those many mobile QSOs, made with 100 watts during my commutes to and from the night shift at work. I miss the QSOs and better propagation of those years, but I do not miss those night shifts!
    Retirement in the Age of Coronavirus leaves much to be desired. But it does allow time to recall past travels and meeting friends... both work travels as welll as Amateur Radio trips (Dxpeditions)! It was always good to be able to meet ham friends face to face at long last.
    I believe I became a Member of FOC in late 1999, although you and I had already made friedship over the air.
    So you may imagine I jumped for joy when I confirmed you, Chiaki, and I would finally meet in person at the wonderful W7 FOC event that was so very well planned by Steve, Bill, Alan, XYLs and others. It was an excellent gathering; and the memories of our meeting are frequently recalled, always with a smile.
    Martha is now due home in 3 more days if all remains well with baby and mother.this will make an absence of 1 month. Plus we will have to "quarantine at home" for several more days. This will be the hardest part (" so near yet so far"?) Thank goodness for the radio and the joy and relaxation of good conversations with dear friends!
    Shiawasena omoidewoarigato. 161

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,

      Yes, I was thrilled chasing you in Uganda and some African countries in late '80s. Possibly, Ugandan call was 5X1XX or something. An excellent operation. Ever since, whenever I saw you on the air, I always remembered of that hot days.

      I used to operate /M in late '80s as well. At night shift of the med school hospital, waiting for an emergent patient, I sometimes operated radio for a while from my car parked close to the emergency room. Long time has passed. Wasn't it you who taught me the mobile with the antenna set at the rear bumper made some gain toward the direction of heading? It was a fun for me to hear you from mobile.

      I still remember seeing you at the FOC gathering. Knowing you won't speak to me much, I remember, I have rudely asked you if some more beer might help you to speak to me!! It was a nice meeting in fact.

      I hope Martha will get home soon. May Quarantine period go uneventful. You might stay in shack. Quarantine in quarantine hi.

      See you on the radio again soon. Best wished to Martha and Amber. It was really good of you to let me know of your grandson's birth.

      Shin

      Delete
  2. This confirms what I've been telling you, Shin....If you give up on CW and ham radio, you won't be able to enjoy QSOs like the one with Jim. There are still CW ops like KF7E who are willing and able to carry on a real conversational QSO. You just have to hunt a bit harder for them because the 5NN 73 types are sadly the majority on the bands these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rod, I believe hi.

      Thanks for your comment. Yes, so far as I could make such a conversational QSO, I won't leave radio. Sorry I have not tried to join your sked with Maurie. See you on 20m which is much more stable than 40m even if 40m is our beloving band. Stay safe, my old friend/mentor.

      Shin

      Delete
  3. Hi Shin! I am so glad I found you after 30 years. Being 17 years old, my first experience as a radio amateur was the home-building of a transmitter with used transistors, very low power and a commercial shortwave receiver. My surprise was immense when I heard the distinctive JA1NUT signal! I copied your name as "Sin" at that time. It was March 6, 1990. When I started studying at the University I stopped my activity as a radio amateur. I'm going back to the radio and relearning CW at 48 years old. I'm Pablo, LU7HGV, pforneris@gmail.com from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pablo,

      Thanks for such a nice comment. Those days, I was a nut for DXing and was using the shortened spell Sin, which was not correct pronouciation wise. And I have changed it to Shin. Call me either way. Old friends still sometimes call me Sin hi.

      Welcome back to ham radio. It is still alive but much less active on CW as you may know than around 1990. You are already one of the youngest in CW society. Keep it up and advocate this art of skill in communication. See you soon again. Stay safe.

      Shin aka Sin

      Delete
  4. LU7HGVs post is testimony to the value that DR Shin brings to our lives. The good part of radio is that we meet and become to know each other. The sad part is that we may never meet in person. That does not diminish friendship. It makes it more valuable, because it is more difficult to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      You are right. I still have a hope to shake hands with you somewhere someday. Please take care and stay safe. Jim's state, Ariz., seems to be messed by the plague, I am afraid. I hope things are getting better in Colo. best regards to Wen and Sebastian.

      Shin

      Delete