6/25/2020

A hobby becoming extinct at present

Earlier this morning, I have been on 20 meters for a while. It seemed to have been open to all over the world even though the signals were not loud. The main opening was for Eu. It sure reminds me of a start of the new solar cycle. What is different from the previous cycles, there are too few on the air, especially, on CW.

I have run across with Tom DF7TV who operated from a university club station in Stuttgart. When I heard him operating that station, I was excited expecting a young fellow on the key. It was not the case. He was a graduate of the university but was 59 years of age now. He told me there were very few young students interested in ham radio even though they had been holding events to introduce it to them. CW must be the last as well as least thing they were fascinated at. 

This observation has been universal all over the world. In Japan, there are very few youngsters coming into this hobby. It is like finding a jewel in the sand of beach to have any young fellow interested in CW. They could communicate in the internet without any training and spending much money for the set up. To be honest, exchanging meaningless numbers/symbols on CW is comparable to computer game. Nothing human in it. Of course, I know how blood boiling they are for some people and won't deny they have been aspects of ham radio for decades. But it won't satisfy young people who look for something more human and ever lasting pleasure in life.

We should express what has fascinated us to CW. We need to objectify what and how it has attracted us for a long time. That may help young people to be absorbed in this hobby. Letting them see how we enjoy it is another point. But it is not enough, I believe. Description of the process CW communication giving us pleasure and/or rewarding sense is quite important to convince them that it's worth spending time/energy for this hobby.

But most old timers are not aware of this. They just complain withdrawal of CW test in the ham ticket exams was the reason why CW had become inactive in ham radio. They treat digital modes like an enemy and predict they would lose interests in that modes and come back to CW in some time. I am quite suspicious of that. When they get bored with digital modes, most of them may leave ham radio but won't come into nor return to CW.

In this situation, unfortunately, I could not help feeling pessimistic for the future of CW and possibly of ham radio. The consciousness of old timers won't catch up with the trend. I won't say this in order to deny someone but it is only my observation of this hobby for 57 years. I hope it is not correct but it seems the things are going in the way I prospect.

I would live and enjoy the very last era of this hobby becoming extinct at present.

10 comments:

  1. Hello dear Shin. Oh how amazing to contact you again this morning from so far away! We are not extinct (yet). What a thrill to hear you so clearly... so many miles. CW is great. Stay well my friend. 73 de W1PID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,

      As I told you in the QSO, as soon as we started the QSO, you have mentioned something extinct and CW still alive or something. It has made me laugh a lot. I understood you had visited my blog. Thanks for visiting here and having such a nice chat. I know your setup is not a big one and it is a miracle for us to talk that way. Yes, CW is still alive, even though I still have the prospect that CW is declining slowly. It was like a feast on the air tonight. Stay well. When you visit your daughter in Hawaii, let's make another one.

      Shin

      Delete
  2. Hi Shin,

    reading your comments about the perspective of CW and ham radio I fear I have the same opinion about the future. About 2 years ago after 25 years as CW/QRP operator I sold my rigs. The last reason was that people forgot to work CW and turned to digital modes. So I used these too at the QRP-level, but then the big guns came by and worked these small signal modes with up to 1500 watts. I did quit and started to play the cello with 68 years and it is fun especially if you focus on Bach. Now at the Corona-time I wanted to start again with CW ... but the bands are deserted and everyone is blasting FT8 with 100 watts. I still have my 5 watt and will return to the cello and wait another two years to see what the future will bring.

    73 de
    Hajo DL1SDZ
    ---
    Avanti Dilettanti - Lasst das Cello ertönen!
    ISBN: 978-3749471485

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hajo,

      Thanks for the comment. I am glad to know you enjoying cello. Did you mean you had started it at age 68 years? It's never too late, I believe. Yes, Bach's suites are not only alpha but also omega for us cello students. Keep up your activity! The band conditions are improving right now. Your 5 watts may reach here some time. Very sorry for belated response. I often miss such a comment as yours. Thanks for your comment anyway.

      Shin

      Delete
  3. Hello Shin,

    I just wanted to share how EXCITED I am. Just moments ago you and I worked each other on 20 meters. You're my first ever radio contact in Japan. I was astonished when I heard you calling CQ. There was some QSB, but I thought, "Was that a 1 or a J?" Sure enough, it was a J! I'll be sending you my paper QSL card today and thanks for slowing down for me! 73 Tim W3ATB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim,

      It was an honor to be your 1st ever JA. The conditions are improving right now. We might have another chance for a QSO. I believe you have received my QSL for now. See you again soon.

      Shin

      Delete
  4. Hi Shin,
    It was so nice to finally get through to you this morning. About two weeks ago on Jun 13th, I heard you but I was too weak for you to pull my signal out of the noise. All we can do is plant seeds and hope they take root with regard to future cw operators. Thank you for taking the time to read my QRZ. My sons and I also love all sorts of music, gardening and radio. The boys are eager to get their ham licenses. Please take care Shin and hope to hear you again soon.
    73,
    Bill
    KA2QOD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,

      Thanks for the QSO and this comment. I was laze looking back the past comments like yours. Sorry for that. Gardening and tiny farming are becoming my main duty now. I hope your sons will get the ham ticket and will be inherited with love for CW. See you again soon.

      Shin

      Delete
  5. Shin,

    I wanted to add that I don't altogether agree with your predicition about the impending death of CW. It's very much alive here in the USA.

    I do agree that we need to attract more young people into the hobby. Years ago there was little competition for ham radio, but now as you mention, video games, virtual reality, etc. are competing - and winning - the attention of youngsters.

    I feel the major radio leagues need to invest in very accurate psychodemographic analysis studies that provide the insight as to the narrow slice of humanity interested in our hobby. We then TARGET that group of youngsters and introduce the hobby to them in grade school. Not much different than using a yagi antenna.

    73

    Tim
    https://W3ATB.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim,

      We should try to advocate this hobby by all means possible as you say. Thanks for your comment. And again sorry for belated response to you. See you again soon.

      Shin

      Delete