4/24/2020

Quiet life

The outbreak of COVID19 has simplified my way of life even more. Gardening, farming, playing cello, cooking, doing house chores and sometimes playing with radio. No outing other than shopping foods at a super market once every 2 days. No complaints so far except for a bit of worries for the future.

Expecting a drastic collapse of economy, I decided to grow more of potatoes and the other vegetables for ourselves this year. I wonder why people are not concerned about the economic hardship inevitable in the near future.

Potatoes are budding right now. Such young plants look so lovely to me.


Azalea along the entrance is coming out now.


The other kind of azalea, enkianthus, has born fresh leaves. Some of them are starting blooming.


Caring for those plants, I often recall of my father, who used to visit this place from Tokyo on a small truck every week end. It was around his sixtieth of age before retirement. He has cultivated this place and has built a tiny cottage by himself. He has started his life along in his retirement. My mother used to follow him in a few years. And in another few years, disgusted at the small and dirty resident dorm at the med school hospital, we have built our own house in the same property. It is the foundation of our family at this place over 30 years ago. I wonder how my parents want to spend their retirement here. My family owed them a lot for raising kids etc. Have I done enough for parents while they were alive? 


Dogwood trees are also blooming on the roadside. The junior high next to our property across the street is perfectly quiet even though it could be noisy with the students shouting, yelling and laughing without the outbreak. Yes, it is off now.


This evening, this omlet was the main dish for dinner. The sauce is special featured white wine and butter. 

May this peaceful day be continued!  



 

2 comments:

  1. Shin,
    Thank you for your recent continuing commentary on the corona virus. There are interesting new insights as the statistical database builds. I think we will view the entire episode differently in the coming months.

    It appears you are having a beautiful spring. We are experiencing the same here. Our stores are well supplied and all services are operating well. In fact, we have found that we are able to obtain even better produce and seafood, such as fresh Gulf red snapper and grouper, as well as beautiful pink shrimp. I suppose that is due to the closing of nearly all restaurants, so the merchants are delivering their wares to grocery stores.

    Agree with you on your concerns about the economy.

    I don’t know if you are an opera person. Our family loves the opera and we have been enjoying daily free streaming from the Metropolitan Opera. You may wish to go to metopera.org to view their program. This evening, they are doing a virtual gala with performers from all over the globe, including serval orchestral pieces.

    Stay safe, my friend.

    Our best to you and your family,

    Taylor
    WA4APB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor,

      Thanks for a valuable comment. Nowadays, like with the operation of CW on the air, I scarcely have comments here and sometimes miss such a good one as yours. Sorry for belated response to you.

      It is good you have such rich food items there. The producers and transporters as well as the restaurant chefs must be serious regarding how to sell their products/dishes now. This supply chain and retail system may undergo a profound change with this corona disaster. Anyway, I hope everyone will survive and adapt himself/herself to this paradigm shift.

      Opera is the field I am not good at. Maybe, it will make us enthusiastic for once we are involved with it. I have tried to go around the other aspects of music than the chamber music, symphony and religious music which I have been indulged myself in. Especially the contemporary music after Schoenberg. But at age 70 years, it has turned out to be a bit tough to enjoy them. I still, however, try to explore the other world of music than that I know. Maybe, opera sometime.

      It seems we are getting into the new solar cycle. Twenty meters is open to the Western Eu right now. Unfortunately, there were only contest style QSOs and I quit the band quietly. See you on the radio or in the internet.

      Stay safe.

      Shin

      Delete