8/06/2013

To new comers on HF

Since I have an above average set up here, that is, 500W with beams for 40m through 10m, I am often called by stations with weak signal from abroad. I know how eager they are to work DX even if it is just a JA. I started ham radio with s single 6AQ5 TX and a 5 tube RX with a low dipole fed with an open wire feeder in '60s. It was a real joy to get a reply from overseas those days. So I am trying to do my best receiving those weak signals. But, from time to time, I have much difficulty copying them due to their inexperienced operation. Here are the points I would ask them to improve.

When you are sure that I am responding to you, don't start with my call sign. It is not necessary to repeat that. All I need is your call sign. It requires you an experience to be sure I am responding to you. When there are no others calling me and/or my call corresponds with you in timing, it is you whom I respond to. If I give a part of your call sign in QRZ?, you could be sure of my calling you.

In the condition with fast QSB, slower sending is often effective. On the other hand, with long phased QSB, faster sending may be more readable, even though it is not so common. In noisy condition, slower is preferable. Listen weak signals in fading and grasp the technique how to send in a particular condition. Please try sending in different speed in case I seem to have difficulty reading you.

Please don't put /QRP to your call sign when you start calling me. It is still an unnecessary info. What a dsiappointment it is for me to copy only /QRP at the peak of QSB. You could mention of that only if the condition is good enough to tell me about your power.

Please don't start long winded message even if my signal is pretty good at your place. Your signal could be so weak here that I keep my ears 120% open to you with full attention. It could be an agony for me to follow your soap box in that condition. Imagination how your signal is coming here is very important. I am the last to enjoy simple rubberstamp QSOs but should do that style when the condition is not helpful to us. In good condition, a ragchew is most welcomed to me.

It might be needless to say something like this. But I feel some of you should be trained a bit more regarding these issues. That is the reason why I dare to write this article. I hope it is of some help to you starting the adventure working DX on HF. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment