9/30/2023

An audio trouble

 I have had a trouble with the audio system in the bed room. It is chirring or chirpy sound on the higher audio range in loud volume. A kind of distortion on that audio range. I have been exploring the cause but not yet have reached the answer.


At first, I suspected of the speakers and later of the audio amplifier. They have been replaced to other models. It turns out the amplifier was partly responsible for that. But it won't explain all the trouble.


The rest to be explored is the music source of CD and the CD player. With rather high end CD player at my room, that noise is much less but still noticeable. So called high resolution system may augment the trouble. I am afraid it is a multifactorial issue.


Only limited number of the music sources of CD bear the trouble. Hence it might be the main cause. Such as Matthews Passion from CBS Sony or Faure's Piano Quintette from Erato, both of which were recorded around 1980. Pretty old ones. I am afraid they have been gradually degraded for the period. They say CD lasts only for 30 to 50 years mainly due to degradation of the protection material on the surface. High temp and humidity are aggravating factors as well.


I am not sure but the high end CD players may automatically modify the errors of reading and won't give rise to much trouble in audio. That may be why I don't hear much that noise when they are played at my room.


I won't pursue the cause any longer since it might be closely related with aging process of CDs. Those CDs are of much importance to me. The Matthews Passion is a rendition of Bach Collegium Stuttgart conducted by Helmut Rilling with the soprano Arleen Auger. The same members I listened to at a concert in late '70s, as I repeatedly told in this blog. The Faure's Piano Quintettes are by Jean Hubeau and Quatuor Via Nova, one of the best recording of these chamber music, which I have been familiar with my school days.


The problem is that it could get very hot in summer while we are not at home and the house is not air conditioned. It might cause or at least accelerate the degrading process of CD. I should move all the CDs to my room in the 1st floor from bed room in the 2nd floor. Another tiring task. Or should I always run the air conditioner in the bed room? It is not practical.


 I could hear some of my friends telling me why not connect the audio system to the internet and download each music from some source. I know it is the final solution. But I still would like to keep those old and memorable sources of CD. They are a kind of keepsake in my life for me.


All this event has reminded me that everything including myself is not immortal. It is needless to say that. Confronting to the fact, however, I feel it as an imminent reality. For the rest of my life, possibly for a decade or so, I should care for those things affectionately. Like colleague travelling together in the journey of life.  

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Shin

    Many of my older CDs are starting to deteriorate due to humidity. This gives rise to a high pitch squealing sound at times, or the CD skipping or stopping audio output entirely. One of the signs is a white dust which forms on the surface. Once cleaned properly it does not completely cure the problem.
    I very rarely play my CDs now : my entire collection is on Spotify plus literally millions of other classical music recordings. A whole world to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Regretfully, it seems to be the reality. So should I consider to connect with Spotify? Wifi is not accessible at my bed room, though. Worried so much!

      Delete
  3. Shin I am sure you can add an additional router to your home network. We have one in my apartment which transmits the signal to the furthest rooms. We call it a mesh here.
    I checked that Spotify have an Erato Faure piano quintet and there are at least ten Mathew Passion recordings, some on Sony CBS.

    I am using bluetooth noise cancelling headphones when on public transport and I can listen to whatever I like.

    If your wifi does not reach your garden, you can use the phone network. I am outside a lot and probably use Spotify 2 or 3 hours a day on the local phone network, but I still use less than 2 Gb a month.

    You can listen to Bach whilst pruning your roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thanks for the info and advice. I will look up for any possibility to set another router. I still miss the collection of CDs, even though it may sound like a kind of good enthusiast. The problem is, I know, that we could enjoy music itself whatever the media may be. Spotify might be much more handy to look for and listen to certain music. On the other hand, I would copy some imoportant CDs. At the garden, I may prefer listening the sound of nature to any good music! hi

      Delete
  4. If I had a garden I would do the same, just listen to nature. You are right.

    You are missed on the air. I was chatting to Nao JO3HPM and he agrees.

    And many others.

    Take care old boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always appreciate your comment, John. Coming back to radio...some day.

      Delete