7/23/2023

Fifty seven years have passed

Yesterday, I read a post by John W1ITU on facebook. He told he had been to a baseball game of Cape Cod League with his son somewhere in the area. He said it was getting even cooler later during the game there. Surprised to know of that cool weather in Cape Cod in these hottest days world wide, even though I know well that it is a summer resort and could be cooler than the other areas, I asked him if it was usual to have such weather. He answered affirmative and told when he was in PA and drove up to Cape Cod in summer, he felt it was getting much cooler as coming close there. He wanted to spend his retirement at a place where he won't sweat much during summer and was settled down in CT.

It has brought me to this post on him in this blog.


We have lived in the same age. We have not been in regular contact either on the air or by mail etc. But we were in touch in 10 or 20 years interval. 

He has given a page of his old log showing possibly our very first QSO in '60s. I have looked up in one of the old logs in 1966 and found it as this photo shows. Aug 30th 1966. On 15m CW. He was in Covington LA aged 21 years. He was running 150W into 3 element quad.  


As I wrote in the post, I managed to put up bamboo made quad for 15m only at 5 or 6m in the air. It was still miraculous. I could enjoy working all over the world. The log was filled with rare entities and also enjoyable chats with statessides wor Eu. It seems I have started recording what we talked about in the remark of the notebook log. I also have had great time in the All Asian Contest 3 or 4 days prior to this QSO. A lot of old calls during that new contest in the log. In addition, the next QSO after that with John was with Jim, W0HTH, who later became W0HJ and W7ZQ.

It is only a meaningless record to others than me and John. But it is still a precious memory for us when we were indulged in the same hobby in our youth. K5PKA in '60s, again K5PKA in '80s, WG3U in '00s and finally W1ITU in '10s till now. John has two lovely granddaughters who must be visiting him and his wife for now. I wonder if one of them still calls John as Grumpy grandpa. He is spending a peaceful retirement close to a lake. A blessed guy in fact.

May we be able to keep in touch from now on, even if not on the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment