12/26/2022

Pork miso soup and Mahler 9th

For dinner, I have prepared this miso soup with pork. It is a popular family dish named Tonjiru in Japanese. Home grown taro and radish were used for the material.


While cooking this and one more, I have run a CD of Mahler 9th at pretty loud sound as if I were at the concert hall. It may not be suitable for a music at kitchen, too serious and emotional. But I like listening such as Mahler, Bruckner or Brahms while cooking.

It was a recording of Berliner Phiharmonic conducted by Claudio Abbado in 2000. It was the time when he had climbed to the top as a conductor in the world. He was diagnosed as gastric cancer in that year, however. I don't know if he knew of that by this recording. Judging from how this serious symphony was diligently played, he must know of that.

His thought sure sounds double imaged with what the composer has thought in composing this piece. Passion, jest and wandering are expressed in the first three movements, which converges into the reconciliation with death in the last movement. As I wrote about it before, the yiddish melody and repeated motif of something like gasping in this last movement present us the mental state Mahler has reached. I don't know if it was the ultimate solution on life and death for him or not. It is still moving us whenever listening to it.  

Thinking of such a thing, the dishes were ready. The other dish was potato stew featuring home grown potatoes. My wife, coming home at 8 PM, has enjoyed this soup so much. Everything goes peaceful and pleasant. 


Before sleeping, I would listen to this CD again. 

3 comments:

  1. What can we say about Abbado? For this listener, he worked a miracle by revealing the inner beauty of Mahler's work perhaps more than any other conductor. I prefer his legendary live performance of the 9th with the Lucerne Festival, but both are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not listened to this symphony by various conductors. But I sure agree with you. He is sometimes refered as an "honor student like". I still appreciate, however, his serious and faithful attitude to music. I shoule add, whenever the Yiddish melody comes on in the last movement, I always remember of you, who have taught me of that. I guess I have listened to the performance at Lucern as well. Isn't it that the audience has not applauded for a while after he settled the conductor's baton. It may mean how deeply they were impressed at it.

      I would write, as promised you long time ago, about the process of CW reception before I forget it. The idea is often shared by the other operators nowadays. But that is sometimes misunderstood. Before I go SK, I would summarize it in an article. Could you publish it in "FOCUS" as a guest writer? hi Promise is just promise. Not a firm contract!

      Happy New Year to you and yours all, John. Stay well.

      Delete
    2. I would be very pleased and honoured to publish your piece on CW. Take your time, there is no rush. Enjoy your garden. Happy New Year to you and yours! May 2023 bring peace to us all.

      Delete