12/19/2021

A good tradition in CW world

 Whenever I start a QSO with anybody, I always have the motto "Tell me your story" in my mind. It is not easy to converse in that motto. Without that, however, the conversation is often devalued. When that motto is realized, I always feel quite comfortable and it becomes worthwhile to spend the time.


With that motto, there is only the relationship of "Ich und Du" as Martin Buber depicted the ideal relationship with the other, although it is a matter of idealism. The other is my own aim as well as an end itself but not a means. Conversational CW enables us to do that because it could be a real dialogue. No others interfere us. We could concentrate on what the other says.  


Buber used to tell that the relationship is categorized as Ich und Du or Ich und Es depending on the attitude toward the other. In his idea, of course, the ultimate relationship of Ich und Du converges into that with God. It is evident that this distinction of relationships lies in the ordinary human relationship, whether it is conscious or not. Conversational CW is not an exception for this categorization of relationships. It is rather the area where that distinction appears in most obvious way.  


The idea of "Tell me your story" came from a conversation with Mike WB4ZKA years ago. He used to tell me he had enjoyed listening to me and to others in conversation on 40m late at night in his time. I can't remember if he expressed this motto as it is. His operation style was telling me he had been in that style. Writing this story with Mike, I remembered having mentioned about him and his mail to me in the previous article in this blog. I won't brag quoting it here but still even more firmly believe his attitude is precious in ham world, especially in QSO on CW that is the slowest mode of communication. 

http://nuttycellist-unknown.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-borderless-world-and-ham-radio-as.html

I must admit such a style is less and less seen in QSOs nowadays. I am afraid this trend to forget this tradition and to deviate to the Ich und Es type could be an ominous sign of the future in this hobby.  



2 comments:

  1. Dear Shin,
    I have heard so many interesting stories on the air. I hope I have not bored others with my own stories.
    Happy New Year to you and your family. 161 and 88, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      I always enjoy your stories on gardening and growing vegetables. Thanks for all the QSOs in the passing year. Best season's greetings to you and yours all.

      Shin

      Delete