12/05/2020

A CW family

 I have met Ellen W1YL on 40m late in the afternoon yesterday. After 1.5 months absence. She sounded like a teen age girl finally operating W7RN via remote control. She told me Luis W4LT had done all the job for her. Luis has mother with almost the same age as Ellen. It was the reason, as Luis told to her, why he had worked setting the remote control for her. His bio. in QRZ.com sure tells he has mother aged 97 years, a bit older than Ellen. He was amazed how proficient on CW Ellen was. He might know operating CW was like breathing freely for Ellen. It must be another reason why he has eagerly worked for her. I don't know if he is reading this blog or not but would like to express my gratitude to his efforts for her. It was really important for her and for her friends all over the world including myself.


We have talked a lot while I was sipping cold lager as usual. Her ankle issue turned out to be cellulitis but not gout. It is even a good news. If cared for well, it won't recur like gout acute attack. Without CW fix, she has spent lonely days with Oreo, her company cat. He must be a bit happy to have been able to occupy her all day. With improvement of cellulitis, she could go for the doctor driving her car. Most emphasis was that she was more than happiest to operate CW like before with the aid of Luis. She asked about us and our kitten. Hearing out kitten is running all around and even climbing the curtain, she looked pleased and told me kittens always behaved in that way.


Listening to her story, I have remembered of Mike WB4ZKA I mentioned in this blog before.

http://nuttycellist-unknown.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-borderless-world-and-ham-radio-as.html

His motto was "Tell me your story". I felt both Ellen and I were realizing that motto in the QSO. We are sure in the same community or even in a family in a sense.


I would go on joining that community from now on. May I hear not only the big signal of Ellen operating W7RN but also Mike operating with K1 4W and a wire antenna. I haven't heard him for several years.


Go on, Ellen. I will keep ears open to you!


 

6 comments:

  1. We are hoping for a big solar cycle 25 based on some new modeling techniques. It's always good to hear you on 40M around our sunrise. Have a Happy Holiday
    Bill, W6QR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,

      I always enjoy our evening/morning CW fix. Hopefully, the conditions will continue to improve for the coming years. Have a pleasant holiday season even though your home might be a bit lonely without Alana and Quinn this year. Stay safe.

      Delete
  2. It's great that Ellen is on the air again. We have had several QSOs, all on 40m. Her big remote signal gets this far but is covered in my local noise, so our chats are short. I hope for a longer QSO soon. She makes my day every time. A great operator. And a cat lover like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      You are still annoyed with the local noise, aren't you? Too bad. Her operating hours must be your early evening or late afternoon. I hope you to have better path to NV or less noise soon. I have been calling CQ in vain for some time and now am heading to bed! Ham radio is under metamorphose. Stay safe!

      Shin

      Delete
  3. Hello Shin. I apologize for having to leave our QSO early. XYL had a flat tire in the snow. Just got in from fixing it. Thanks for the nice QSO we had a few minutes ago. I was in Yokosuka for 4 months back in 1970. I was in the US Navy and my ship was in dry dock in Yokosuka. Japan is very beautiful and the people were very nice to me. I played baseball catch with the Japanese yard birds during break time. Hope to have another QSO with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce,

      No problem. Your wife comes first especially in such a situation. I was in total QRT back in '70s preparing for the entrance exam for med school and studying in it. I am pleased to know you have had such a nice memory in Japan. See you soon again. Best Season's Greetings to you and your wife.

      Shin

      Delete