9/20/2020

A fantasy early in a morning

 Half an hour after our sunrise, I listened 20m and found W1AW sending Morse Code reception practice with pretty big signal. Otherwise, nothing else was heard. I tried to call CQ a bit below W1AW. No one has answered to me for 10 or 15 minutes. Calling CQ with the memory keyer and sometimes manually, I wondered what the CW world would undergo for the next 10 years.

Considering its history for the past decades, which I have lived in by myself, this trend of decline won't be changed. It has been discussed many times on this process. Despite of the efforts some groups are making to revert and augment its activity, this trend seems to continue. Whatever the reason of this decline might be, I believe, there would be much fewer CW operators, at least, those who could copy without decorder, in the next decade. 

The average age of CW operators will be higher then. The only activity of CW might be contesting. Contests may last only for a day or even shorter considering of the age of the participants. There should be some net for just exchanging reports on certain frequency at some time in a day. Without these activities, the CW bands might sound quite silent. Some portion or all the bandwidth allotted for only CW might be shared with the digital modes. We might hear only screaming digital signals on those portion of the bands.

There could be hopefully a small number of CW operators who would enjoy the  conversational CW. Those who find much fun in that communication style would hand down its tradition to the next generation. In the society that they could find easier way of communications, I believe, they should verbalize their fun in it and deliver it to the next generation. What they should pass on to the next generation is comprised of two aspects. As I have reiterated in this blog, one is regarding the joy of this communication itself. And the other is about the relationship with brass pounders all over the world. The former may be related with the the psychological process which could be depicted in brain-scientific term. In my view, in analogy with the pleasure in music, it could be a rewarding sensation associated with expectation for the up coming content of communication. I have written about it in a post. The latter is from the comrade with the this nerd enjoying this old fashioned communication mode all over the world. The relationships with them could be life long ones. 

Well, having been indulged in this not very pleasant fantasy for the prospect of this mode, I got a few callers, all of them being good old friends of mine through this mode. I don't know if I am foreseeing it right or not. Empty CW bands seem to continue and even more empty in some time, I should say. Even though I could hear someone telling me I am too much a person of glass half empty. 


6 comments:

  1. well spoken, my CW friend from your CW friend David in Washington State. Its always nice to hear your friendly fist, usually on 14.028 Mhz here! 73 Shin. David Stehman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. It's been a while since we talked last time. See you on 20m, that is always open to the West Coast around 22Z. Stay safe.

      Shin

      PS; I have deleted your duplicated comment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CW QSOs with JA1NUT continue to be a highlight of my day!. This erudite ham is an absolute pleasure to talk with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, I am honored to be told this way by you. It's always a pleasure to see you early in the evening while having a glass of beer. Let's go on that QSO so long. Thanks for your considerate comment.

      Shin

      Delete
    2. very good seeing you here my good friend Shin. i always enjoy our CW chats. David N4DAG

      Delete