8/10/2020

The day of rising fall passed 3 days ago

It was the first day of fall 3 days ago according to our old calendar based on 24 division of solar term. It is called "Rissyu" in Japanese. It stands for rising fall. At present, it is still far from real fall but, whenever listening to this special term for this season, we feel this cruelly hot weather won't last too long. In the end of this month cool breeze will start to blow ushering in the arrival of real fall. 

For the past several years, I have always grown this Marigold in this season in a year. It  pleases our eyes for a few months. In the beginning of fall, the seeds will be collected from the dead flowers. They will be planted again next spring. This cycle will be repeated so far as I could take care of it. 


The flowers are not gorgeous but rather plain. Still lovely. It is the only flower I take care of in this garden. The others like roses belong to my wife. Marigold is in full bloom at present. Without boasting it to others, I am still a bit proud of them.

As told in a previous post, some of the vegetables like tomatoes were damaged by the long lasting rain from June to July. On the other hand, there are kinds of vegetables very vivid. One of them is this taro. It may be the time of harvesting soon.

This 3 plants of green pepper have yielded so many fruits since the mid of the rainy season. They have been served for salad, tasting subtly sweet, and grilled seasoned with sugar and soy sauce.


The lawn in the eastern part of our property has been headache to me. With a tiny engined lawn cutter hung on shoulder, I should work for an hour or so to care for that. During the rainy season, I could not do it and the lawn was almost overwhelmed by weeds like jungle. Finally, a few days ago when we had fine weather after a long series of rainy days, I have done that job feeling as if I got heat intoxicated. This work should be repeated 2 or 3 times before it becomes real fall.

The small land between the row of Satsuki Azalea and the lawn along the entrance should be done with my own hand. It is about 100 ft long or so. Squatting there and sweating like torrential rain, I have completed it the other day as shown in the photo below.


We could not enjoy the Indian Lilac at the entrance gate so long as in usual summer. It has withered earlier than usual. This is a close up shot of the flowers still alive.


All after the hard work in the garden, this waits for me in the radio shack. Am I working so hard to trim and harvest there or to enjoy this after the work, I am not sure. In the happy hours an hour before sunset here, I always look for good friends of mine like Ellen W1YL or Jim KF7E. Unfortunately, I could seldom enjoy chatting with them as if sitting side by side at a bar counter for now. I turn to the other things recalling good old days when there were a row of friends greeting to me. 


Anyway, this is how I am getting along. Slowly getting into the depth of old age while finding things new to me or I haven't noticed in the daily life in the past. Getting old seems a process to know of things in the new way.

6 comments:

  1. What kind of Lager are you having?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second . Kirin is my favorite. Mitsubushi was our prime importer back then and Kirin was somehow owned/controlled by Mitsubishi. So, I drank Kirin when they. I think Sapporo was Mitsui (our competitor in selling rice), so I had to stay away from Sapporo....Ha. I talked to Atsu on 20 this morning my time. 40m has been terrible. I did hear you talk with Benny a day or so ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know better on the relationships between major capitals and brewers. I find sometimes myself that I could hardly appreciate the delicate difference between them except for the very 1st taste. Atsu seems to be busy at maintenance of the remote station. He is a happy father now for his son and daughter are married and/or engaged. A blessed guy. You might hear in the QSO with Benny that I had supposed you were hiding yourself on 80m. I am hiding myself with cello or just surfing the internet away from radio. Take care and stay safe.

      Delete
  3. I like your story of marigolds and replanting the seeds. Thank you Shin-San for our QSO today. Hal N4GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hal,

      It has been a long time since we last met. It was when 15m was still hot and easy to have a QSO with you. Were you running QRP? Not very loud. May the sun spot be increased soon! Thanks for visiting this blog.

      Shin

      Delete