9/29/2019

Playing at a small concert

I have finished one of my important projects since last year. At a small concert of a piano circle which my niece and her husband belong to, I was asked to play a chamber music. With the help of my good friend violinist, I have played the 1st movement of the 1st piano trio by Mendelssohn at a concer hall in Tokyo.

I have worried that I could cause some trouble which would prevent me from joining that concert. But everything went smooth and well for us. It was a gorgeous public hall in Gotanda Tokyo. Having rehersed for half an hour in the morning, we have played it around 2PM. My sister, that is, the niece's mother and some relatives came to listen to us. Of course, as a performance of amateur players like us, we have had a few accidents. However, the violinist friend, whom I have been playing a number of chamber musics with for almost 2 decades since her music university days, has lead us successfully. We have reached the brilliant coda where the piano plays overwhelming passages in accelerando. Imagine how deeply I was touched and relieved when I played the last D. Someone, I am sure it was my sister, has shouted bravo at the end! I was a bit ashamed to be shouted that way.

I felt so tired after this concert and rushed  back home. Sure literally deadly tired. Maybe, worries have made me feel that way in addition to physical tiredness. I used to go to Tokyo for ensemble almost once a month while working in own practice. I have never felt that tired at that time. Only 10 or 15 years ago. I remembered my mother used to tell us it was fabulous for her to experience something new when getting older. She might mean this kind of experience at that time. Getting older is accumulating experiences which we could only do at certain age.

Anyway, I would return being a chef and a farmer for now.


From lt to rt; the violinist, my niece and myself almost torn out even before performance.

3 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with that particular piece, but found your descriotion of the shirt practice, and then the live performance very exciting and "real." That you were so exausted was wonderful emotional proof of the total commitment you made. Of putting yourself "out there" as we say. I loved the quote from your mother about how unusual and important it is to be so moved even at older ages. Congratulations for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, thanks for your kind comment. I should have replied to you much earlier. I would comment on this niece in the recent post again.

      Delete
  2. Err short practice. Excuse my fat fingers please.

    ReplyDelete