10/19/2016

A friend for half a century

Twenty meters was stunningly open to the states this morning. The signals were loud and stable. The signals from the East Coast were fluttering as they often are. I have had nice ragchews with Alan AC2K and then another Alan KF3B. Both QSOs were really pleasant ones. Especially with KF3B whom I haven't met for months. We were pleased to have our cataract surgeris gone on successfully.

After those impressive QSOs, I was called by a weak signal. He signed as W1ITU, not familiar to me. Not very loud but still steady here. It was John ex K5PKA. He told me, having moved to Cape Cod from PA, I believe, he had come back on the air after 10 years long absence.

I have first worked him as K5PKA in '60s. Of course, I could not remember of the QSO when I again met him in '80s. I talked with him from mobile commuting to the office those days. I still remember his a bit chirpy but fascinating signal from his Drake twin. Then he has moved to PA and got a new call WG3U. We have exchanged greeting cards for several years. But nothing has been heard from him since then. He told me he had retired 12 years ago and had moved to Cape Cod 10 years ago if I read him right.

He was running an old FT890 into a dipole. He sounded a bit excited to see me. This is a photo he used to send to me around 1990, not sure when it was. His daughter is working as a teacher in NC and has two daughters while his son lives in MA and meets him often.




That is all what we have talked on the radio this morning. But isn't it fascinating that we live together for half a century far away and know each other only through radio?  

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful hobby we share my friend , thanks for sharing .hope the bands continue to that good ,best regards Glen NN6T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen,

      Thanks for the comment. It was a pleasant surprise for me to see him. Through the key, I could feel how excited he was also. It is unique thing of CW communication as well. I hope all is going well with you and Susan. See you.

      Shin

      Delete
  2. Shin, it was great to catch you again tonight. And thanks for the tip to check out the blog. That's one of my favorite photos -- time marches on. Our new QTH is going to be a real ham radio challenge -- we are half way down to the pond -- the house is about 7 meters down from the average terrain in the area, and it is another 10 meters down to the pond. About the only place I could put a beam is on the back of the house on a short telescoping tower (at best). The good news is I should have a favorable take-off to your area -- as well as to the West and southwest. So, I need to get moving! See you soon again, hopefully with a better signal. John W1ITU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Your signal was above the average from your area for such a simple set up. I am sure the lake on the western side of your house must make a good take off for your signal there. Of course, any beam will be of help to you. But your present set up is good enough.

      It was a pleasure for me to hear you. Yes, this photo sure looks nice. Both your kids have grown up there and your daughter has her family now. Time has flown away so fast. Keep well. I am looking forward to hearing you again soon. Enjoy your trip to Sweden.

      Shin

      Delete