7/31/2016

What I expect from a CW QSO

What I expect from a CW QSO to make it decent and enjoyable is as follows. This is what I am examing myself in usual QSOs.

1) Make the message simple and plain. CW is the least efficient communication mode as for the amount of message sent in a unit time. The message should be simple and the topics per a transmission should be limited to 2 or 3 at most. If the message is lengthy and covers more than 4 topics, it is always difficult to follow. In the condition with much QRN/QSB, each sentence should be as short as possible. Such sophisticated expressions as rhetorical question, irony or subjunctive mood are not appropriate in such situation. Expressing an idea with simple and plain sentence is a highly intellectual process, isn't it?

2) A QSO should not be a two way monologue but a real dialogue. This won't restrict what you talk about. I am always enjoying what a good friend of mine reports me how he/she is getting along. But if the QSO ends with only that, it is not what I pursue in QSOs. I hope the other to listen to what I say and to respond to it. The problem is if the eyes are directed not toward his/her own mind but toward the others. Asking "How are you doing?" in the end of a transmission is good enough.  

Nowadays, it is rather difficult for me to find anyone who would make conversation on this mode. It is a problem before this discussion. But if I could meet someone who would converse, he or she would make monologue too often. In my case, I have the problem of language. Writing down this post, I could not help feeling ashamed to present here this problem in this way. Because it is questionable that I have filled these things by myself. I would brush up myself and make decent memorable QSOs.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shin
    I think some people find it hard to express complex ideas in simple language. Among writers, Hemingway was probably the most skillful in his economical use of words, a high percentage of which are monosyllabic.
    In CW it takes years of practice. I tend to try and avoid weighty discussions these days. It is frustrating trying to debate the finer points of a piece of music using CW. I often forget how a long word is spelt, and stumble accordingly. You may have noticed! So for most of us we just stick to simple topics, but hopefully something more meaningful than a rubber-stamp QSO. I know I am not Hemingway, hi hi
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hemingway, umm, I have never read his works in English. I have been too busy reading the other genres mostly in Japanese.I am trying to preserve vocabulary through SNS. Honestly speaking, however, I have only increased some vocabulary of bad as well as dirty words and colloquial expressions haha. Too many propaganda,negative campaign, sarcasm or dispute, I may have to do with such classic novels by Hemingway.

      I believe you are questioning things on the higher level than I and most others are. You are doing just fine on CW. When we pursue a high level standard, we might feel we haven't reached the satisfactory level however well we might do.

      At my age, it is a challenge for me to maintain the skill of communication on this mode. Hopefully, it might help us to stay younger.

      See you again. Tom K5AX was surprised to hear you so loud there. The antenna Jaye has helped you to put up must be working better.

      Shin

      Delete
  2. Interesting subject. I never enter a QSO with anything concrete in mind to discuss, unless there is a "left over" from a prior discussion. It's a bit traditional to talk about somewhat uninteresting things, like the weather or the radio. Little of that contributes to friendship. But, personal discussions about challenges and thoughts, ideas and concerns, to me, that is what makes for a memorable conversation. Certainly, CW puts a challenge on the exchange, but we are all here because of that challenge. Otherwise, we would send an email, or call on the phone. Listening to Dave W1DV tell Tom K5AX this morning how Dave could not believe that his wife had been gone for over a year. I wasn't in the conversation, but I felt every emotion listening to Dave share more than the weather. I may be odd, but that portion of Dave's conversation with Tom will stay with me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      Something memorable and touching is most favorable for a topic in the conversational QSO. Nowadays, as you know, they scarcely talk about their equipments etc. Is it that the rare such a QSO is, the more memorable it is? Anyway, it is quite difficult for us to find a decent QSO. Let's try to make such a QSO by ourselves.

      Shin

      Delete
  3. For me, more than two topics at a transmission is sometimes already excessive. Hearing about one's professional life over the CW signal is always a fun to me because it always contains something new to me. Maybe, I am still too young to copy touching emotion behind the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bands are getting active now. How about your new vertical? I know you are still busy at work on plain week day. Please try to get on 20m you may find fantastic condition from time to time. A few hours after sunrise and around sunset. Keep up your activity, Tak.

      Delete