7/18/2016

Reunion with John 9V1VV

It has been 8 years since I met John 9V1VV at our home last time. It was also early summer. A bit earlier in summer, maybe. As I have written about it else where, I have brought him to a rehearsal of the orchestra where I was playing cello. We were practicing Nr2 symphony of Brahms. There was a cozy breeze blowing at the hall then. Whenever I meet or think of John, I could not forget that scene together with this refreshing music suggestive of early summer. It is what I was impressed by his personality as well.

I arrived at a downtown named Ochanomizu about half an hour before the promised time. Looking around books at a book store there, it was close to that time of promise. At the exit of the JR station, a tall guy was seen from fairly far away. It was John, with the same composed outlook, standing there with smile. We shook hands exchanging the words of greetings. His wife, Emelyn, and son, Jake, were there as well. 

We headed to a Japanese restaurant I looked up with the internet. It was the place of the medical university which I graduated from and, supposedly, well known to me. John asked if it had been why I had chosen this place for meeting. Yes, it was. But it has been 40+ years ago since I wandered around there carrying my cello. 

His wife working as an accountant at an American company in Singapore is a genuine Singaporean. Her parents were from Hainan. A cute and sharp person with charming smile. His 2nd son, Jaye, has recently finished his compulsory service in the army there and has started his study in mechanical engineering at a university. A handsome but a bit shy boy. He seemed to manage this trip. When I asked how they were going to the next destination, Atsu's home, tomorrow, he opened a note book, where he had recorded how to go there with beautiful hand writing and let me know that. What a joy it must be for them to travel together! I could not help feeling jealous at them 

John looked quite the same as before. An intelligent and calm person. I asked him about the environmental noise which had prevented him from operating radio for the past months. He told me Jake had helped him to put up the antenna higher at his apartment roof top, which drastically diminished that noise level. He sounded to feel disgusted at the rubber stamp style QSOs he had been forced to do with the Eastern Europeans. He, even with a bit sarcastic smile, told me he had heard me working with those in the rubber stamps John happily told me he would join the FOC meeting in UK on Oct. Even though he has become an associate member of the club some time ago, he seemed to get actively in touch with the other members.  .         

Next year, Emelyn is planning to retire from her job. Soon, they are going to purchase a house in a countryside in UK. They will spend half of a year there while coming back to Singapore in the rest of a year. There seem to be the pension/insurance issue if they live in UK. I hoped everything would go well for them. He should take an exam of ham and start with the novice call with a prefix of 2E. We might hear proficient bug keying of a novice class call in UK soon. It should be John on the key. He told me he had spent young days to find himself in such as Israel, Middle Easts or India. Long time in Singapore. Nevertheless, he would be settled down his mother country soon. It made me smile a bit.

In a context of talks, I told them I had believed John was a man of wisedom. Both his wife and son were laughing at me. I still, however, believe that. He has a diverse interests in things, from his profession to music and literature in addition to ham radio. His point of view is always agreeable to me. For example, he seemed to be against the BREXIT. I know it would only leave impoverishment of the people, especilly, those approved BREXIT. I would ask what he thought brought about the right wing swing regarding BREXIT. Maybe, in the next QSO on CW where I could be a bit more free in expressing my idea. I always feel sympathetic to his tendency toward liberalism in his point of view. I have felt that sympathy since I knew him first. Yes, it seems to me the breeze early in summer is symbolizing his personality. At least in my mind.

On a bridge in Ochanomizu. The building behind is a part of the campus of the school I graduated from.




    

5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful example of type of radio person that you are, Shin. You profess that the true value of amateur radio is the ability to converse with others and to make life long friendships. Were you solely a contester and had exchanged meaningless numbers and such with John over the years or had you been solely a DXer and exchanged a few cards with John over the years, I suspect you would never have met John and his family either before or on this trip. But, because you and John have shared extensive time with each other on the air, both you and John, with his family, took the time to further cement your relationship in person. A worthwhile investment of one's time on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. Speaking of contests, I have never met John in any of them. It has been a pleasure for me to listen to his signal with a bug. This will be continued throughout our lives.

      By the way, I was sorry I could not read Bruce well last night. The signal was not so weak and the band was not too bad, either. But the noise synchronized with the dots, I am afraid, so that it was hard for me to read him. Maybe, in a month, when the band condition ushers in the arrival of fall, we might have another round table.

      Shin

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shin is a man of accomplishments in so many areas. I am proud to count myself as a friend of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen,

      I feel everything has been incomplete with me! Having good friends like John or you is really an accomplishment in my life. Always thanks for that.

      Shin

      Delete