5/13/2013

Bach's music

Have I written about the impression I have from the musics of JS Bach?

Two different things. Pleasure and sorrow. Cosmos and inner world of one's mind. I am always amazed that Bach has expressed two opposite things at the same time in a music. Even a melody expresses ambivalence. This ambivalence won't irritate our mind at all but rather soothe us. It is words of comfort by music to those struggling in the actual world.


Allemande in Partita Nr 2. The tonality is d minor. It would have been governed by a sad mood. But we listen a sense of pleasure as well as sorrow at the same time. I used to listen to this music quite often in my school days. Hilary Hahn performs it with perfect technique. In her blog, she wrote she always started practising violin with one of the unaccompanied sonata/partita like this. It seems this music has become a part of her life.

5 comments:

  1. Shin, My favorite composer. Thanks. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, doesn't Hahn play good Bach? I love her playing the concertos of Bach as well. There is a Youtube video clip showing her playing a minor concerto with an string ensemble in LA . Fascinating.

      Delete
  2. I have had a double CD of Arthur Grumiaux's complete sonatas and partitas for many years. This was always the critc's choice and I really enjoy his phrasing, bringing out every nuance...

    Here on the ship U-Tube and MP3 are blocked so I must wait until I get home before I can hear Hilary Hanh.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grumiaux must have played Bach fluently as well as beautifully. Noone could compete with his bowing technique. Soft like silk. I think I have listened to him performing those musics when I was young. My favorite was H. Szeryng, though.

      Are you bringing any CDs on aboard? Or digitalized sources of music?

      Hahn is a young genius in expressing the emotion and the structure of the music by Bach. When you get back home, please try to listen to her. I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Shin I have most of my favourite music on an I-Pod, around 200 hours. There is space for another 900 Hours ! Imagine that only twenty years ago we needed to bring suitcases full of cassettes to sea !

    ReplyDelete