6/09/2024

Origin of music breathing together

The hunting tribe, Baka pygmies, has kept their life style in the central Africa since over one hundred thousand years ago. Their culture is thought to represent the origin of our culture. 

They sing the song for certain important events. Surprisingly, it's not a simple monophony but a polyphony with elaborately constructed rhythm. Each participant sings own unique part which collectively becomes a polyphonic music. I firmly believed it was not possible without synchronizing their breath. One of our ancestors' direct descendants, Baka pigmies tribe, may still maintain that style of the origin of music. 

Since age 50 years or so, I had been immersed in playing cello, which I started at the med university as I often mentioned. I often wished I had taken more lessons in young days whenever I had difficulty to play it. However, with kind good company of music, some from the university days, I could enjoy some chamber music as a cellist. I learned that breathing together was the key point in music. I believed it was how music was born among our ancestors. Breathing together brings us pleasure. Since we live together with them. When I knew of the polyphony this tribe still had held since ancient days, I was convinced that I had been in the stream of music if not perfect way. 

This piano trio has reminded me of that history of music which is not well conscious of even by music players. This piece, one of my most favorite ones, requires very intimate attitude to it when it is played. Each player seems to have realized that atmosphere in this rendition. 


It is always a big pleasure for me to find such an ensemble.

2 comments:

  1. Strange you should mention African music. Recently I was introduced to the Malian kora by a friend. The kora seems difficult to play but even so there are many virtuoso's, including Sona Jobarteh.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0alqVqbtUSY

    Some of the extended performances of the kora seem as sacred as some western Renaissance and baroque. There is a common thread which runs through all.

    Enjoy your garden.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the kora music. It is also quite new to me. Maybe, it is an origin of plucked string instruments in later era or might have the same ancestor with them. Simple and beautiful. Garden and farm are keeping me busy. You too take care and spend good retirement, John.

      Delete